Skip to content
how to stop high pi...

Notifications
Clear all

how to stop high pitched sound (resonance)

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@anth202)
Topic starter  

I have a hollowbody ibanez af75. I just strung it up and its all setup. However, when I play a string and then mute it, a high pitched sound lingers on. I read some people tie there strings between the tuners and the nut to stop this resonance. I tested if this was the problem area by resting my finger there across the strings but it didn't fix the problem. I then put my finger between the bridge and the floating tailpiece and it fixed the problem. How do I fix this high pitched resonance in this area?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

it's not pretty, but a quick fix is to buy rubber grommets from a hardware store and insert them between pairs of strings. I seen this done on mandolins:

Grommet:

(linked from Michael Kelly website)

warning: don't let the grommets touch the finish of your guitar. over time, some rubbers slowly release sulphur and other chemicals unfriendly to fine finishes.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The same thing happens at the headstock end of the strings above the nut. Makes a metallic ringing sound when you loudly strum the strings and then abruptly mute them, on most any acoustic guitar. I think it's just part of the guitar's sound.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote