Clear all

truss rods that are accessible through the soundhole

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jonemuse)
Topic starter  

Hi,
This is a question related to truss rods.What happens if I continue turning counter-clockwise? Is there a nut that falls off,or are some "nuts" connected directly to the rod? Is there a way to tell?Some of my guitars have pretty stiff rods that I would like to lubricate,if possible.Any help?

buy r4i

(@lue42)
Reputable Member

I think you should check with a qualified technician for adjusting your truss rod(s).

Adjustments should be made at a 1/4 turn at a time - there should be no case where you should be concerned about turning it to the point that it "falls off". You can easily destroy your guitar (neck) if you continue to adjust it incorrectly.

Also, I have never heard of a case where a truss rod needs lubrication.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

The guy I learned to adjust truss rods from recommended lubing the nut if needed. And my main axe, which is rather old and aparently hadn't had a truss rod adjustment for a decade or so definitely needed a lube. The nut was resistant to turning in either direction, so I loosened it all the way off (counting turns so I could put it back exactly where it was) and used a little WD 40 on it for cleaning (both the nut and the threads, using cotton wool to apply because I don't want to spray that stuff around the guitar), then put a little light machinist's grease on it. Works great now.

It may be that cleaning and lubricating the adjusting nut on your truss rod is a good idea. If you're not sure, though- post the reasons why you think it might be here, in as much detail as possible. And the knowledgeable guys will help out.

I've never done any work at all on acoustic guitars, so I won't offer any further advie.

BEst,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

The truss rod on an acoustic with soundhole adjustment is normally in an extruded aluminum U-channel with integral nut. It can't really be pulled out - if you managed to get it too far counter-clockwise, it's okay, you would just thread it back in. But I expect a shoulder of some sort near the long hex nut to prevent that from happening. There isn't any specific point or any parts to lube in this type of set up. If you feel resistance when tightening that is normal, and not a lubrication issue.

Here is the other Gibson style - if you use it on a new build, or as a replacement, you must cut threads (as in tap & die) at the distant, body or heel-end of the rod, for that barrel nut, for some reason.... ohhh, it's due to universality, then cut to scale length.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote