Notifications
Clear all

Hum in humbucker guitar when turning down volume

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@patoid)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone, besides the meet and greet, this is my first post here.

I have a 1977 Ibanez Musician on which I've done quite a bit of modifications. Actually everything except the wood and some parts of the bridge has been changed. I love the guitar and want to use it as my main axe for some gigs I have coming up. Ever since I made all the modifications I hadn't played it on a high-volume setting. Now that I am playing with "The Big Amp" I've noticed I'm getting a lot of nasty hum when I turn the volume on the pots down to anything that is not 10. I don't think it's a shielding issue because I have humbuckers on the guitar, and because there is shielding (although it's probably not the best shielding as it's made of tin foil and not copper foil). My theory is that it has to do with ground loops. As far as I can tell I've grounded everything that can be grounded together, maybe that's not the best idea?

Some additional information: I have series-parallel switching, the hum is not as bad in parallel mode.

Thanks for your comments.

(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member

my P-bass does the same thing and its single coil..must be bad pots or something?

bassist for the crux
Randall RB-125-115 120 watt 15" eminence spk.
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Having the pot fully open or all the way up is the same (practically) as wiring the pick ups straight to the next component in the circuit. Turning the volume down adds resistance to the signal. So, I don't think its a problem with the shielding. The pot may be poorly grounded. You might want to re-solder the ground from the pot.

ReplyQuote