Notifications
Clear all

Humbuckers in series

22 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Hey xg5a, since it was a Jazz Bass that inspired you, have you searched for Jazz Bass wiring schemes that involve a series/parallel switch? Not all of them have the S1 switch, obviously, but s/p switching seems to be a common mod. And you could keep your 2-wire pups.

Couple of different versions:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-262.html

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/printthread.php?s=c7c095fdc0fa4aafa06e0f9fd1eb020e&threadid=250926

Doug or Gnease can probably tell if those would work. The look like pretty simple setups, but I have no idea how they'd function in an LP setup.

I used basic Jazz Bass wiring in my current S'51 configuration, with dual volume pots and no pickup switch. Worked like a charm for me, but yours is different.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey xg5a, since it was a Jazz Bass that inspired you, have you searched for Jazz Bass wiring schemes that involve a series/parallel switch? Not all of them have the S1 switch, obviously, but s/p switching seems to be a common mod. And you could keep your 2-wire pups.

Couple of different versions:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-262.html

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/printthread.php?s=c7c095fdc0fa4aafa06e0f9fd1eb020e&threadid=250926

Doug or Gnease can probably tell if those would work. The look like pretty simple setups, but I have no idea how they'd function in an LP setup.

I used basic Jazz Bass wiring in my current S'51 configuration, with dual volume pots and no pickup switch. Worked like a charm for me, but yours is different.
Well, this makes sense, except for the fact that the Les Paul has a pickup switch. The 1 and 3 positions of the pickup switch still need to work normally.

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

A guy on the GuitarNuts Forum has posted a diagram that may be just what you need. You really should communicate directly with those guys, so we don't miss any important points as I'm passing info back and forth. The guys had some ideas, but needed to ask some questions to make sure what they come up with will work with the controls, etc., on your guitar. (E.g., Gibson's method of wiring LP volume controls, vs. other 2T/2V arrangements. I'd have to go look at the start of this thread to refresh my memory as to whether you've got an LP, or what it was.)
I think you can read the threads as a guest, but would need to register to post a message.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Well, this makes sense, except for the fact that the Les Paul has a pickup switch. The 1 and 3 positions of the pickup switch still need to work normally.

Ah, yeah, sorry. I forgot about that. Well, give Doug's forum (guitarnutz) a shot - those guys are VERY helpful.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well, i joined and posted on guitarnuts, so we'll see what happens...

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Well, i joined and posted on guitarnuts, so we'll see what happens...Cool. 8)
EDIT: And I see you scooted right through the doorway I opened, too. CoolER.
I'm off to see the wizards. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@gary58)
Trusted Member

I don't want to get mobbed here but there is a bit more to consider, if you put the pups in series you could have them in or out of phase, likewise, if you had them in parellel they could also be in or out of phase. If you were to draw a waveform on a piece of paper, say, a sine wave at, say 440 hz, then consider adding or subtracting the ouput from the other pu by drawing that on top of the first trace with a different coloured pen, then using a 3rd colour to draw the addative or subtractive result, you will arrive at the resultant complex waveform, remember the output will always be greater from the neck pu than the bridge pu so to draw it with slightly less amplitude. Unless you had access to an oscilloscope you can't of course include the harmonics from each pu, so will have to approximate by considering only the fundamental waveform.

Perhaps an even more flexible way of controlling the pu output characteristics would be to replace the output jack with a stereo one and wiring each pu to it's own channel, this would give you a "stereo" output, you would need to adapt the amp end of the lead to 2 jacks and feed them into different channels on the amp, or even use 2 amps! You could then not only select pu1 or pu2 output, but also be able to vary the input level of each, even adding different effects to 1 or both.

Gary UK

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2