Clear all

humidity

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@foxconfessor)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I acquired my first guitar, an S&P Pro Rosewood 6 string, a few months ago. Since then (all winter) I've had it on a stand in the upstairs bedroom where I practice. My house is forced air heated, and so is rather dry this time of year. Is it a mistake to leave my guitar out like this? I have not noticed any problems, yet, but I don't want any, either!

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

if any part of the body is made of solid woods -- especially the top (usually spruce), then yes humidity control is recommended. guitars are generally comfortable if you are. you feel dry, time to humidify. avoid saturating humidity as that is damaging too. if you prefer a "local" rather than area/room solution, several companies -- Planet Waves, Damp-it -- make guitar humidifiers and meters that also include sound hole covers.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@foxconfessor)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

My guitar has a solid spruce top and solid rosewood back, laminated rosewood sides. Does a guitar humidifier go into the guitar, or just near it?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

a dedicated guitar humidifier usually goes into the soundhole -- it may be integrated into a soundhole cover. one just pops it out to play, and then back in when done. the humidifying element is a sponge that is encased in plastic or rubber. I recommend Dampit brand. (and they give me no consideration for shilling)

but ... I find it's easier to put all my humidity vulnerable guitars in one room and use a room humidifier as necessary.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I battle the humidity, or lack there of, in the winter months with room humidifiers. It's still drier than the summer, but a lot better than it could be.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Resurrecting a dead thread with a new question.

Are solid body electric guitars vulneralble to humidity? Because we're having really weird weather in this part of the world, and my apartment is...a little humid. Like living in a cloud. And I have a guitar that will destroy me if it gets damaged...

Thanks,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

not so much, though the neck may need the relief adjusted as the temperature and/or humidity change.

above, I refer to solid woods on an acoustic being most vulnerable to humidity extremes. these are thin sections of solid wood that may radically change in dimensions as they absorb and release moisture. they also are under a lot of stress due to string tension or forming (steam bent rims). a solid body electric or (semi-)hollow made with laminated woods is not nearly as vulnerable to temp and humidity.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Thanks- I've been wondering due to the disgusting weather around here. (Rain is getting measured in feet, not inches, and the place never completely dries.)

No actually signs of damage, but the neck relief did change a bit on me. I'm cautiously writing this off to the drop in temperature, but am inspecting every inch of the guitar on a daily basis. I heard from a friend that humidity can affect the glue used to put a guitar together- which on a neckthrough with a really classy (presumably glued together) wood body, was making me nervous.

THanks,
Ande

ReplyQuote