Clear all

Fret buzz on an Epi Les Paul

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@number6)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have an Epiphone Les Paul that I really like. The problem is, I get some fret buzz on the E and A strings from frets 1-4 that I can hear through the amp. It goes away if I pick really lightly. It's really getting on my nerves and I think it's time I did something about it. I don't have the money to take it in to a shop right now.

Action at 12th fret: 2.235 mm / 0.088"
Neck relief: about .076 mm / 0.003"
I measured the neck relief on the seventh fret while fretting the first and 14th. I just adjusted the truss rod about a month ago, loosening it, but I didn't measure it then.

As I see it, I have three options. I can raise the action, increase the neck relief, or lower the tailpiece on one side to increase the tension on the lower strings. Any suggestions on what I should do? If I'm adjusting the action and/or relief, around what measurements should I be aiming for?

Thanks!

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

(@birrdd123)

Does it happen when you play the first 4 notes on those strings, or open as well? Also are your fretts in good shape? If not, does the buzz go away when you bend the notes?

Bryan

ReplyQuote
 Jayy
(@jayy)

You're in the area of a low action and almost straight neck. The harder you hit it the more likely it is to rattle. As a guitar player you want low action and no buzz, right? The lower you go the more accurate everything has to be. It's usally worth levelling the frets if they haven't been touched since it left the factory. You have to read every part of the neck to make sure you have no bumps in it that will upset a low action. The action and releif you want are personal to you. A heavy hitter won't like a low action and straight neck unless they don't mind the buzzing. Maybe the first thing to try is loosen the truss rod vey slightly. That will both raise the action and give a bit more relief so the bass strings can vibrate with a bit less buzz.

ReplyQuote