Notifications
Clear all

Humm and Tone in inexpensive electric

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@nclevenger)
Topic starter  

Was given what appears to be a new (or maybe demo that wasn't demoed much) low end Brownsville (based on comparison I think this is a 149 dollar intro guitar) elelctric with two humbuckers. It has quite a bit of hum just sitting in a room with no other electric devices running (so other than the basic 60 Hz coming in over the power lines, I think I am isolated from my refrigerator,etc..)

humm is much less with strings muted, so I am guessing noise is coming in through pickups. Was going to start with popping the back off and replacing cable with shielded and shielding the cavity (haven't looked yet, but I am guessing it is cheap wiring and no shielding)

Depending on how much humm that takes out, where else would I look? Pickups would be my next guess, and the tone on them isn't great (I am new to all this, but my sons squier mini of similar price or less sounds better) Maybe I should replace them with a better yet reasonably priced set. Anyplace else I should start? I could chuck it and start with something better, but I figure I can learn some of the guitar-tech things on it without risking damaging something nice. For reference, my assumptions on where to start are made from engineering background and a little reading, the most maintenance I have done on a guitar is changing strings, so dont go to over-the-top-techie with your reply ! (ok, actually I'll appreciate any help whatsoever, just know that I am a beginner :D )

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

when you cover the strings with your hand the hum stops and or decreases...
that is an indicator of a bad ground (earth wire not properly connected).

poor or no shielding will produce hum as well.

old and frayed wiring also contributes to your problem.

open up the guitar and check it out.

someone gave me an old Melody Maker. the switch popped and the hum was consant.
after opening I discovered an earth (ground) wire wound around a bridge screw. it moved easily. I soldered it to the back of a pot and now the guitar, although beat to sht, works fine.

hope this helps. but I think you already suspected what was wrong.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@nclevenger)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help, will check ground first thing, that had escaped me

ReplyQuote