Clear all

the mildew case smell

22 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@logan5)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Anyone with ideas on how to get rid of it?

Thanks
Logan5

There are 10 types of people in the world ... those who know binary ... and those who don't.

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Yes. If you will get an apple and cut it in half and lay it inside the case with the cut sides up and leave it there for a few days, there's something in the apple that soaks up odors. It really works! I promise!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Good grief! I'll have to try that with the old (original '78 Fender) hardshell case to my Strat - that one honks summat grim ;-) (My Kinsman case for my Tele doesn't smell of anything - either because it's only a couple of years old, or because it's made of some sterile synthetic compound that's no doubt horribly bad for some part of the environment ... )

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I have an EPI LP case that smells like cats. Hmmm, it looks like cat fur. Should the inside of a guitar case purr when you touch it? :shock:

I'm going to try that apple suggestion also. Thanks EB!!! :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Y'all are more than welcome! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I got to thinking...analytical me...huh!

Does it matter how you cut the apple? Stem to stern or side to side? I always like looking for the star pattern. :roll:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

I guess star-wise might be best - just in case the active ingredient's inside the pips??? Anyway I agree - aesthetically that's by far the best option ;-)

ReplyQuote
(@logan5)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Do I close the case with the cut apples in them? Or leave it open?

Thanks
Logan5

There are 10 types of people in the world ... those who know binary ... and those who don't.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Close it.

By the way, if that doesn't work, put a little white vinegar in a bowl and close that in the case overnight.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Wonder if the apple'd help a mildewy Hammond organ?

I'm not putting a bowl of vinegar in it, or ammonia, either. Too many delicate metal parts to corrode.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Yes, definitely close the case. And I don't really think it matters what direction you cut it as long as you cut it somewhere! As far as the Hammond organ, I can honestly say that I have absolutely no idea, but it's worth a shot!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've got to go in it again, anyway. Just oiled the tone generator a few days ago. Turned it on the other night just to play some scales to check what I was saying on a thread down in the Theory section, and it scared me silly! Full volume! The expression pedal (throttle) on this model works a shutter that lets more or less light from a small bulb shine on a pair of photoresistors. More light = less volume. When the bulb blows, it's wide open!
:shock:

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

I'm not putting a bowl of vinegar in it, or ammonia, either. Too many delicate metal parts to corrode.

You wouldn't leave the guitar in the case...

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Febreze works great.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You wouldn't leave the guitar in the case...I wasn't talking about a guitar. :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2