Clear all

Replacing the neck on a Squier

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@pilot)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I got my son a Squier Bullet Strat copy shortly before Christmas, and while the guitar as a whole is really freakin' great for the $90 we paid for it, the fretboard leaves a bit to be desired. I've worked on it a little bit and smoothed it out some, but overall it's just kind of rough and crappy.

I have absolutely no qualms about putting a nice neck on this cheap little axe. My son plays the hell out of it (to the best of his ability anyway) and I really like playing it as well - actually sounds better than my MIM Strat, if you can believe it!

My only concern is that I have *no* idea if there's any kind of standard....well, Standard...for neck mounting. I'd like to get a nice solid maple neck to throw on it, but I'm not certain as to what I should be looking for as far as measurements go.

Anyone have any sage advice? :)

-Rick

(@noobie)
Estimable Member

I don't have any recommendations on the neck, but my first guitar was a cheap used Squier Bullet from a pawn shop as I just wanted something to learn on.

When I started looking for a better intro level guitar I found myself liking my $75 Bullet alot more than the $2-400 higher end squiers/lower level fenders in shops. It lacks sustain, but I love its lightweight! - Just thought I'd let you know you aren't the only one.

plz im a noob

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I don't have any recommendations on the neck, but my first guitar was a cheap used Squier Bullet from a pawn shop as I just wanted something to learn on.

When I started looking for a better intro level guitar I found myself liking my $75 Bullet alot more than the $2-400 higher end squiers/lower level fenders in shops. It lacks sustain, but I love its lightweight! - Just thought I'd let you know you aren't the only one.

The crazy thing is, even with the narrow Bullet body, this guitar sustains almost as well as my Epi Les Paul, and soundly (no pun inended, really) beats my MIM Strat in a head-to-head test. Seriously. This guitar simply boggles me as to how good it is overall, with the exception of that crappy fretboard.

I'm right there with ya. :)

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Pilot, I put one of these Mighty Mite licensed necks on my Cort strat project guitar.........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7355440790&category=41423

This isn't where I bought it but this has a full description and pics.

The neck is great! All they need are final hand filing of the ends of the fret wire. I put grover tuners on it and used the string tree from the old neck.

8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Mighty Mites are supposed to be good. Warmoth necks have a great reputation but cost more. They have all the dimensions on their web site, so you can measure your neck pocket and pick the right neck for your guitar.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Pilot, it would seem to me that you SHOULD be able to put a Mighty-Mite or MIM neck on this guitar with little or no issue. The guitar may need a setup afterwards to shim the heel, etc.

The question is whether you want to spend $100+ on a neck and $40 for a setup or just buy a used MIM for $230.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help, everyone!

As far as replacing the neck vs. buying a brand new (used) guitar, I'm for the new neck all the way. It's really for my son, but we both love the guitar so much (and I still can't believe I'm lauding a $90 Squier like this LOL) I'd rather upgrade the single less desirable "feature" than replace the whole axe outright. As far as the setup goes, I'm actually pretty good at doing it myself, so there's a bit of savings. :D

I'm going to investigate those Mighty Mite necks over the weekend and see what I come up with.

Thanks again! :)

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Just be ready to perhaps do some shaping work on the heel of the neck. Squiers always seem to have odd heels. At least, mine do. I'm sure nothing you can't handle, though.

ReplyQuote