Clear all

I cut my nut!

23 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

Thanks, TR.
If I ever do surgery on any of my nuts, I'll give you a PM to get more detailed info.
(very protective of his nuts)

I've been able to hold in my immature sense of humour until this post right here. Thanks KR ;)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

KR, I hear you about the lower action.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I was under the impression the nut was glued in and you had to chisel, scrape and pray through the whole job.

You may need to give the old nut a couple whacks with the handle of a butter knife (or similar, moderately massy tool) to loosen the glue. Then a little careful prying and wiggling usually finishes removal. Carefully scrape the old glue from the nut slot to provide a flat seating surface for the new nut. I use cyanoacrylate (= Super Glue) to hold the nuts on my guitars. Only a drop or two does the job well enough -- string force is the main captivator.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

I was under the impression the nut was glued in and you had to chisel, scrape and pray through the whole job.

You may need to give the old nut a couple whacks with the handle of a butter knife (or similar, moderately massy tool) to loosen the glue. Then a little careful prying and wiggling usually finishes removal. Carefully scrape the old glue from the nut slot to provide a flat seating surface for the new nut. I use cyanoacrylate (= Super Glue) to hold the nuts on my guitars. Only a drop or two does the job well enough -- string force is the main captivator.

Thanks for the info gnease! Although the words " I use cyanoacrylate (= Super Glue) to hold the nuts" both frighten and reassure, I have my next project firmed up. :)

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
(@crate1)
Eminent Member

from nut cutting to nut whacking with a butter knife...I feel terrible pain....and if that wasn't the end of this your gonna super glue it back on...ouch!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

But only with a drop or two.

Which of the Tri-Cities are you in?

ReplyQuote
(@crate1)
Eminent Member

The address is Blountville, but I am located close to the airport... near the old Holston High School...

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Cool. Not far down the road from me.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2