Skip to content
I need help, any wa...

Notifications
Clear all

I need help, any way to lower the action any more???

17 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@tiki23)
Topic starter  

Hi, I recently bought a 1968 Yamaha FG-110 as a beater guitar and the action around the 12th fret was incredibly high. I lowered the saddle some as well as tightened the truss rod using http://www.frets.com as a source. The action does feel a little better but still pretty high, but I've compromised playability by increasing the tension on the strings. I am using Martin SP lights. I was wondering what else I could do to lower the action more without increasing the tension. Would I have no choice but to tune down a half step (and possibly use super lights)?

Thanx ahead of time.

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Maybe lower the saddle a little more?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I lowered the saddle some as well as tightened the truss rod using http://www.frets.com as a source. The action does feel a little better but still pretty high, but I've compromised playability by increasing the tension on the strings. I am using Martin SP lights. .
Nothing you did should have increased the tension on the strings unless you did not tune it afterwards.
I was wondering what else I could do to lower the action more without increasing the tension. Would I have no choice but to tune down a half step (and possibly use super lights)?

Thanx ahead of time.
You can still lower the saddle more if the action is still high at the 12th fret. Just do it a little at a time to make sure you don't go too far.

I am also assuming that when you tightened the truss rod you measured the impact of the adjustment with the string fretted at the 1st and 14th frets or used a straight edge.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@tiki23)
Topic starter  

thanx for the replies...

Hmm... I have retuned the guitar with the current setup and maybe it just feels like there's more tension. You are right that I shouldn't have increased the tension any bit.

As for lowering the saddle, I think I have sanded it down far enough, that is, according to http://www.frets.com .

And as for measuring the impact... do you mean to see if the neck is straight by depressing a string on the 1st & 14th frets and seeing if it is aligned to the fret board? Could you clarify cause maybe I have done something wrong.

Thanx again.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I don't know that the information on my site is any clearer than Frets but take a look at the "basic setup" steps on my site and see if that helps.

However, when you fret at the 1st and 14th you then measure the distance between the top of the 6th or 7th fret wire and the bottom of the string. It should measure between .005 and .015 (thousandths) if the relief is set right via the truss rod. A business card is pretty close to right if you don't have feeler gages.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Or a high E string

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Or a high E string
Good point. I always forget about that and I actually have all common sizes glued to Popsicle sticks.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Or a high E string
Good point. I always forget about that and I actually have all common sizes glued to Popsicle sticks.

For what reason?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Or a high E string

For what reason?
To use them like feeler guages since they are known sizes. Also, wound strings make good files for light cleaning.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

OH...the tricks that can be learned! :shock:

This is a great idea! Good thinking nils!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

OH...the tricks that can be learned! :shock:

This is a great idea! Good thinking nils!
I was actually using pieces of stings for measuring string height etc. since the best tool is the round feeler gages anyway. Then came across a guitar repair site that one person suggested hot gluing them to a popsicle stick so you would not only have a handle but also could write the size on the stick.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@tiki23)
Topic starter  

Thanx Nils & Nick. Been away for the weekend but finally got a chance to check out the action. The height above the 6th & 7th frets seems to be way high. I guess I will have to tinker around with the truss a little more. Thanx again!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Thanx Nils & Nick. Been away for the weekend but finally got a chance to check out the action. The height above the 6th & 7th frets seems to be way high. I guess I will have to tinker around with the truss a little more. Thanx again!
If it is the action that is high don't mess with the truss rod. The truss rod only gives you neck relief and a small if any impact on action. Check the neck relief (how straight the neck is) first and use the truss rod to adjust that if necessary. Then the action which is adjusted with the bridge height.

CAUTION: If you try to lower the string height (action) with the truss rod you will break it before the strings get low.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@tiki23)
Topic starter  

ok... I checked out the action using the method of checking the string height above the 6th fret while depressing the 1st & 14th fret and it seems the neck is bent up a little. I will tighten the truss rod bit by bit using 8th quarter turns. I have already sanded down the saddle. Would sanding the bridge help any? Is there a limit for every guitar as to how low the action can get?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

The problem with continuing to sand the saddle is that you don't know it's enough until it is too late and you start buzzing. If your string height at the 12th unfretted is around 3/32's after you are done with the relief adjustments then leave it alone.

Just keep working on the truss rod adjustment a little at a time until you have that at around 10 to 15 thousandths.

There is no real limit on how low you can go with the saddle but at some point you start to lose volume then start to get string buzzing.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2