Clear all

Strat 'Slut' Guitar...

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Is there any reason why a Fender Maple neck wouldn't bolt up to an old Cort strat and work out?

Why would I want to do such a thing???? Because I have a need to work on things.

I am selling my Harley and I would love to buy this Ash Aged Cherry American Deluxe strat I have been drooling over....the prettiest guitar I have ever seen but I just don't feel worthy to have a guitar like this. Sounds strange but sometimes I appreciate the things I build/work on more than the things I buy.

I have taken a liking to white strats with maple fretboards and this old Cort is just that. Besides spending money on a custom pickguard and pups, this thing fits me well but there is a lot of fretwear that is bothering me. I would like higher frets. Yes I could change the fret wire and go up a size in height but this guitar is old and I know the finish is going to chip/flake away in those areas I work on. Totally refinishing the neck seems more of a project than I want to do because I don't want to take it out of service for very long.

So my inbetween solution would be to replace everything but the body and hope my "recipe of electric's" sounds like something I want to hear.

Anyone ever mix and match necks like this? My guess is it won't be recommended but I will throw this out there anyway to see what comes back.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

If it's a four hole bolt pattern it should why not buy a used strat clone and mate it up?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yes another clone part is an option. I would be looking for something in the medium jumbo/jumbo variety to see how I like it.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Do you know about allparts.com and warmoth.com? they sell new necks. You can get about any kind of neck you want and other parts thet are necessary for Frankentars. Good luck and most important, Have Fun!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Look at these too: http://www.guitarshopsupply.net/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=aaf44da325724528fb082551688ec7c5 :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yes I was aware of allparts and Warmoth, I don't like their prices for just a slut guitar that will bring none of my investment back to me later on when I eventually sell it. This project is just for honing in on what I will eventually want once I figure out what it is.

But Yoyo thanks for that guitarshop link. I do like their prices for the jackson reverse and the licensed fender lefthanded maple fretboard neck. Looks like what the doctor ordered for my cheap slut guitar. I am leaning towards the fender look alike because I like maple fretboards and I want to try out medium jumbo fret wire anyway. So far I have only used budget electric guitars and old guitars with worn frets and I think they are all bad.

My next guitar will likely be a Carvin built to order Bolt Plus and I want to know exactly how I want it. 8)

ReplyQuote