Plastic or brass br...

Notifications
Clear all

Plastic or brass bridge pins?

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I just read somewhere that they make brass bridge pins for acoustic guitars. I guess its supposed to make the high notes ring with more clarity?

Are these better than the plastic ones. Brass bridge pins go for about $9...would it be worth the upgrade?

Thanks

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Definatly better than plastic... I'd reccommend bone, ebony, etc.. too.. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

BOY you are a YOYO! That was the fastest reply I have ever gotten! Which you be better? I want to have very crisp clear highs but not lose any bass?

I guess I will change mine with the next string change...

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Any difference you hear is between the ears.

A year and a half or so ago over on the guitarnotes.com forum, a guy posted sound clips of his flattop with plastic pins, brass pins, and NO pins! Couldn't tell the difference, it sounded fine in all cases.

It's important when you make comparisons like this to use the same strings. Often people put on new strings when they change pins, and of course the new strings will sound brighter. Then there's the well known effect that anything you do expecting an improvement most likely will sound better to you.
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Oooh let me, let me....

The only difference you are going to hear once the strings pass the saddle is if you increase the mass of the bridge. Then you are damping the vibration of the top and as a result you will kill certain overtones.

The difference is non-existent really. I mean it.

I'm not sure if it was the same test but Little Brother did a test with two different types of pins and no pins at all and you can't hear any difference.

Pins only help guide the strings. The bridge plate and ball end secure them.

If you want to change your tone, change the saddle, nut or buy a different brand of strings.

...or heck maybe even practice.... :D

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Some guitars have that crisp high tones and others have deeper bass. My Fender tends to be toward the bass end. I have tried a couple different strings. Right now I have Phospher Bronze Lights (I forgot the company name...Adamas maybe?) and they sound OK...I just want a bit more crispness. Maybe going Extra light?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Chances are it's the shape and size of your guitar that's giving you the sound. I seriously doubt changing strings (unless they are new) will change your sound.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you A&L.

Try Dean Markley Blue Steel in the same gauge you are using now.

From Dean Markley:

Q: What's the difference between bronze, brass and phosphor-bronze strings?
A: The difference has to do with the ratio of copper to zinc in the wrap wire of the Bronze and Brass strings, and with the formula for the PhosBronze and Blue Steel Acoustic Strings. For instance, VintageBronze strings have a ratio of 85% copper to 15% zinc, while Formula82/R strings have a ratio of 80% copper to 20% zinc. Phosphor bronze strings, on the other hand, such as our Blue Steel acoustic strings and PhosBronze acoustics, have a ratio of 92% copper to 8% tin. The sound differences can be drastic or subtle, depending on how the finished strings are designed and wound. And what type of guitar the strings are on—different guitars respond differently to different alloys. It is a good idea to first pick your gauge, then try each of the alloys until you find the one that works perfectly for you.

In general:

nickel plated steel has a warm sound, not so much bass and is plenty bright.

Pure nickel very similar to above but not quite as bright.

Bronze - bright, crisp sound lacks a bit of warmth.

Phosphor bronze same as above but warmer

Brass, is much brighter almost metallic.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

When you say "warmer" do you mean "deeper"? I am using the Blue Steel on my electric and like them alot...maybe I should try them my next string change..

Talk about confusing!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

full across a broad range of tones and a little more bass relative to treble

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you A&L.

Try Dean Markley Blue Steel in the same gauge you are using now.

From Dean Markley:

Q: What's the difference between bronze, brass and phosphor-bronze strings?
A: The difference has to do with the ratio of copper to zinc in the wrap wire of the Bronze and Brass strings, and with the formula for the PhosBronze and Blue Steel Acoustic Strings. For instance, VintageBronze strings have a ratio of 85% copper to 15% zinc, while Formula82/R strings have a ratio of 80% copper to 20% zinc. Phosphor bronze strings, on the other hand, such as our Blue Steel acoustic strings and PhosBronze acoustics, have a ratio of 92% copper to 8% tin. The sound differences can be drastic or subtle, depending on how the finished strings are designed and wound. And what type of guitar the strings are on—different guitars respond differently to different alloys. It is a good idea to first pick your gauge, then try each of the alloys until you find the one that works perfectly for you.

In general:

nickel plated steel has a warm sound, not so much bass and is plenty bright.

Pure nickel very similar to above but not quite as bright.

Bronze - bright, crisp sound lacks a bit of warmth.

Phosphor bronze same as above but warmer

Brass, is much brighter almost metallic.
Nick feel free to always respectfully oer even disrepectfully dis agree with me 8) :lol:

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote