Clear all

I put on 11s and tuned down a half step

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I slapped some 11s on an Epi Les Paul and tuned it down a half step. My intention was to have guitar tuned down, and up the tension so it felt like it was tuned to standard. I played it back to back with my other guitar, tuned to standard with 10s. They felt almost identical. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this. I really don't see how anyone could play tuned down with 9s or 10s. They feel way to loose to me.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Was the tone any different?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, you've got to keep the tension up. I usually use heavier strings, being mainly a slide player. On electrics I like to use .012-.052s for Open E and A tunings. (Which are raised tunings from standard.) They work OK for G and D, but feel and sound better when tuned up. On my resonator tuned in D or G, it's .016-.056" Martin Bluegrass Resonator strings. Most electrics have necks that are a little flimsy for the beefy strings. When I try to do some standard fretting, string bending and such (at which I'm a rank novice), I've got to have lighter strings!

:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The tone was slightly fuller.

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

The tone was slightly fuller.

I noticed that's what happens with heavier strings. I put 13s on my yamaha accoustic (tuned standard Eb) and it sounds alot heavier.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I ue 10's and tune down but lately been breaking too many 1st strings. Think I'm going to go with 11's. I like to 'POP' that first string alot when playing and need one that can take it.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@death_to_theory)
Trusted Member

same here 10s dont feel that much different from 9's either not good enough for a good rock/metal song

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I slapped some 11s on an Epi Les Paul and tuned it down a half step. My intention was to have guitar tuned down, and up the tension so it felt like it was tuned to standard.

Stevie Ray Vaughn used the same trick. It was part of the way he got his signature sound.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

Speaking of which... if I were to put 10s on my electric (I use 9s in standard) and tune down a whole step, how messed up would the floyd get? maybe I should go to 11s? whats the common opinion?

Also, how much would I have to adjust intonation (assuming I get the floyd balanced), cause it's a pain in the butt. I would just keep it in standard, but all of our songs are in D.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Changing gauge and doing a big drop in tuning is definitely going to throw off your Floyd position. I'm not sure which will have more impact, but I virtually guarantee that it's not going to come out level. Be prepared to spend some time adjusting those claw screws.

There are some good resources on adjusting a floyd on the net.

http://jemsite.com/tech/index.htm

This is a link to jemsite, which has lots of stuff that applies to all Ibanez superstrat type guitars. The tech part of the site is fairly extensive, and their forum can answer pretty much any question about the set up of any model of floating bridge.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@canadianguitarguy)

I slapped some 11s on an Epi Les Paul and tuned it down a half step. My intention was to have guitar tuned down, and up the tension so it felt like it was tuned to standard.

Stevie Ray Vaughn used the same trick. It was part of the way he got his signature sound.

I always thought SRV used 13's. ??

I use .11's. Ernie Ball Power Slinkys tuned to standard. 8)

They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing.
Oh wait, there they go.

ReplyQuote