12 string with bulging bridge

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

hi all

i recently bought a 12 string second hand. (Tanglewood earth 100).

I know this is a common problem with 12's sue to the extra string tension, but if i look top there is a bulge where the bridge is - this is pulling the string action up too high.

Is there an easy fix? Is it possible to get a replacement top if required?

All advice gratefully received!

Matt

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

They're not really built for tuning up to standard tuning, and usually have been played tuned down a step.

Fixing the pulled up bridge is a luthier's job. It can be fixed, but it'll cost you.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Matt-

I just repaired my 20-year-old Guild 12 string for the same problem. In my case, the bridge was actually lifting off the top, so I removed it, scraped/cleaned the bridge and top and reglued it. Hopefully, you do not need to do this. It went well for a first time experience and seemed to completely fix the problem. I spent about $65 for special clamps and miscellaneous parts.

Possibly more significant to you is the other thing I decided to do -- install a JLD Bridge system to prevent a recurrance of the problems:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Bridges/JLD_Bridge_Doctor.html

As decribed, it will not only prevent lifting/bellying, but can help flatten a top somewhat. It seems to have done this for my Guild.

If your bridge is still intact and you're reasonably handy with hand tools, you might wish to consider the JLD bridge system or bridge doctor. I went with the screw-in version to keep the tone and volume as close to original as possible. The brass pin version is easier to install (requires 6 extra pins for a 12-string), but will likely increase sustain and reduce volume. I found installing the screw-in version of easy-to-moderate difficulty -- requiring more patience than anything else. It was certainly a piece of cake compared to removing and re-gluing the bridge. However, if you are squeamish about drilling a hole in the bridge/top of your guitar, you might wish to seek "professional help."

After the repairs, I've decided to use extra-light strings and regular tuning, as the JLD system is supposed to resist further lifting and bellying.

Good luck -- Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote