Clear all

Ibanex AS83 pickup buzz

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@otiscambron)
Topic starter  

Hey all,
I'm new to the forum (and to guitar repair in general).

I just picked up a used Ibanez AS83 semihollow with Gibson 57' humbuckers in the neck and bridge. I'm getting a significant buzz in the neck and bridge switch positions (but nothing in the middle position). This seems strange to me. I'm guessing they were just installed wrong (but I'm really new to this).

Any insights would be helpful.
Thanks

(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

When you say "nothing in the middle position" do you mean no buzzing, or no sound at all?

ReplyQuote
(@otiscambron)
Topic starter  

I just mean no buzzing.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

It sounds like there's a ground problem somewhere. When you only have one pickup selected something isn't getting grounded like it should. The best way to solve this would be to have you look at the wiring and draw an accurate diagram showing every wire connected to every control. Normally, you'd just pop the control cavity cover and just draw it out. However, in your case that's not so easy since you've got a (semi?)hollow body.

You're either going to have to pull the controls and walk the circuit as above - after pulling the knobs and the nuts on the pots tie string to them so that you pull them all back after you're done. Or you might be able to get a mechanics (or maybe a dental mirror) and trace the wiring in place.

Once you've got that diagram you'll know what is going on.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote