Notifications
Clear all

Incorrectly wounded strings

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@espeon)
Topic starter  

About 3-4 weeks ago my guitar started to cut off and stopped playing completely. I still had it on warranty so I decided to send it back. They said they'll repair it, and so they did. They also send me an e-mail telling me that test went ok and it will be fine. What they did was they changed the jack input. They also sent me an email that my B2 string isn't wounded correctly (which I knew before) and that it will cause horrible consequences that are not covered by warranty. When I plugged my guitar in I hear a horrible sound over what I play and it's clearly something with that jack input - it cuts off when I move it the wrong way and the noise varies. I emailed them and described the problem and they told me to change the strings. Is that all? I don't really think changing the strings will help. I will obviously change it, but what they said is basically that the problem with this sound is caused by the incorrectly wounded strings and is totally my fault. It may be, I don't really know so I wish someone could tell me. This guitar was quite expensive so I don't really want to pay a lot for the repair.

(@alangreen)

I'm amazed that anyone who claims to understand anything about guitars could suggest that the way you wind your strings has anything to do with the noise you're describing. It doesn't.

The jack plug socket sounds like it could be the cause of your problem. Assuming that's been fixed properly then your problem should have gone away.

There are countless videos on Youtube about how to change strings and wind them onto the posts. If your strings look a bit untidy then check out some of those videos.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I can see an incorrectly wound string giving you an intonation problem by binding were it shouldn't in the string path, perhaps even a buzz depending on the guitar, but not cutting off and on.

Please pardon me if you've already done this. The first thing I would suspect would be the cable that goes from the output jack of your guitar to the input jack of either the amp or the first FX box. I'd change the cable and plug it directly into the amp to test.

The second thing I would check would be a bad solder joint on the output jack since they replaced it.

If you feel confident taking the output jack out of the guitar you might see if the tip of the phone plug is securely touching the flange on the jack.

Cutting off and on sounds severe for corrosion, but it's possible if you see a lot of corrosion on either the jack or the cable plug. I recommend DeOxit from a company called Caig. You can probably get it on-line or at a Radio Shack or Electronics Parts store. It's the best cleaner I've found.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote