Clear all

Input has popped out and won't stay in

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@tele-screen)
Topic starter  

Sooo,
I've got a korean Fender telecaster and the input has popped out. I tried just shoving it back in, but that has been a poor method of repair. Here's some links to some pictures of it:

I don't want to take this in and get it repaired because I feel like its too minor to spend much money on. I want to get it fixed before i break the connections to the input because then I'll have to take it apart and solder it.
Any body have any ideas for fixing this?
thanks

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Treat your Lite Ash Tele to one of these Electrosockets:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Covers_plates/Electrosocket_Jack_Mount.html

I've used 'em, and they work very well. Going to put one on my Lite Ash Tele one of these days.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@tele-screen)
Topic starter  

Yeah, something like that would be great. I'll check and see if they have those at the guitar shop nearby. Why weren't those used on it in the first place?
Thanks a lot.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Why weren't those used on it in the first place?
$8.63.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Why weren't those used on it in the first place?
$8.63.

It prolly costs about $0.75 to manufacture ... using CNC automation ... these days. 'Course, CNC automation is something Leo didn't have (Read about Bob Taylor for that). Instead, Leo and Co. designed a two piece jack cup that cost under $0.20 in today's money. Leo was a genius of economy. That explains much about the Tele, including the headstock shape and string trees.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@tele-screen)
Topic starter  

Yeah, they are pricey but its better than the damn thing hanging out. I haven't been able to figure out how it was held in there. I've never had this happen before. I'd like to know how it was in there just out of curiosity.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

(See link below) The jack cup (ferrule) has a second piece (retainer clip) behind it that acts a bit like a fishhook barb: The whole assembly pushes into the hole relatively easily, but grabs wood if one tries to pull out. Tightening the jack nut also helps expand the retainer clip if it's bend in just the right shape. But if the retainer clip becomes too bent or improperly bent, it won't grab. Stew-Mac sells a tool to reseat the Tele jack ferrule assembly. Follow the tool link in this link:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Covers_plates/Tele_Style_Jack_Cups.html

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@tele-screen)
Topic starter  

Yeah, I figured as much. For the only slight price difference I think I'd rather go with the more "permanent" one that you linked to first, seeing as I'm worried I've torn up the wood enough shoving the input back in repeatedly.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It prolly costs about $0.75 to manufacture ... using CNC automation ... these days. 'Course, CNC automation is something Leo didn't have (Read about Bob Taylor for that). Instead, Leo and Co. designed a two piece jack cup that cost under $0.20 in today's money. Leo was a genius of economy. That explains much about the Tele, including the headstock shape and string trees.Yeah, I know it'd be really cheap to fix that. But anywhere they can shave a penny they will.

Leo used the cheapest stuff he could get for his guitars and amps. Good thing it worked out to sound great!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote