Installing acoustic PU

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi there;
I asked this question on another forum but the thread died so thought I would try here. Originally talked about trading my Norman for a Seagull acoustic/elec. Yoyo suggested installing a PU instead as I do like my Norman. I have a couple of questions
-Is this a do it yourself project, I do not live close to a shop
-Is the result similar to a factory setup?
-What is the best type of pickup ie Sound hole, under bridge etc,
-For those that have done this mod, what type of Pickup did you put in, are you happy with the results?
Thanx
Robbie

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Soundhole Pick-ups and Contact pick-ups are the easiest to install. The soundhole pick-up is mounted in the soundhole. The contact pick-up is usually mounted on the bridge, bridge plate or top. Pretty straight forward installation. Both work very well and have real good tone.

Undersaddle Pick-ups are a whole different thing when it comes to installing them. They aren't really that hard to install. If you have the time and tools for doing this. They're installed under the saddle, which you will have to drill a small hole thru the bridge and top of the guitar under the saddle for the wire to pass thru. The input jack is mounted in the strap button, the original factory strap button needs to be removed and the hole has to be enlarged to accommodate the new strap button. These pick-up's are generally active systems and are powered by a battery which is also needs to be mounted inside the guitar.

joe

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

The Sound hole pickup seems like the easy choice to go.

Here's an example of what you'll need to do with and under the bridge pickup;

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Guitar/Pickups/Matrix/matrix1.html

Seems pretty technical to me.

ReplyQuote
(@aaronj)
Eminent Member

I just installed one of these Artec 3-way blender preamps in my cheapo Rogue acoustic
Condenser Mic
Piezo (under saddle)
magnetic (soundhole)

Get Spotted Now!
www.InstantSpot.com

AJLCOM

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

The Sound hole pickup seems like the easy choice to go.

Here's an example of what you'll need to do with and under the bridge pickup;

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Guitar/Pickups/Matrix/matrix1.html

Seems pretty technical to me.

On the contrary looks like fun. I just shielded a friends Strat clone(wanted to work on a cheapo before I did mine!!!) That was interesting. Definately got rid of the HUM

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote