Clear all

Installing EMG 81

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@briankennedy1986)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I picked up an EMG 81 from my local Guitar Center last night. My first guitar is getting a little old...about 4-5 years now, I want to keep it for sentimental reason but I think it needs a little TLC. Its an LTD by ESP dual humbuckers, floyd rose trem, 24 fret.

So I dug into it last night and found out that the space between the new EMG volume and tone knobs isn't long enough to reach the cutouts. They have a wire with some sort of fuse that is connecting each other via solder, there isn't enough slack to stretch the wire.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Brian K.

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Can you jump it with another piece soldered to it?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@briankennedy1986)
Topic starter  

^^^^ I could extend the piece with solder. But I don't know if it will affect the quality of the connection???

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

^^^^ I could extend the piece with solder. But I don't know if it will affect the quality of the connection???
Depends on the quality of the soldering job :wink:

As long as you have some small amount of experience soldering, you'll be fine. Just take your time and do a neat job.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@eddies880)

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I picked up an EMG 81 from my local Guitar Center last night. My first guitar is getting a little old...about 4-5 years now, I want to keep it for sentimental reason but I think it needs a little TLC. Its an LTD by ESP dual humbuckers, floyd rose trem, 24 fret.

So I dug into it last night and found out that the space between the new EMG volume and tone knobs isn't long enough to reach the cutouts. They have a wire with some sort of fuse that is connecting each other via solder, there isn't enough slack to stretch the wire.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Brian K.WoW ! EMG81 pick up?
I installed an 85 at neck and a 81 at bridge on my Ibanze studio about 8 yrs ago,and Im here to tell you,I hope you like hot pick ups,cause the 81 is hotand edgey to say the least. Good Luck

Looking for the Perfect Tone

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

Good choice man. I love my EMG's :twisted:

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote