Notifications
Clear all

Interesting Things to do to Chipboard Cases

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@923)
Topic starter  

So... I've been given an extended loan of a pretty sweet acoustic while my friend goes off gallivanting overseas. Said guitar has come with a butt-ugly chipboard case. You know the kind - bought secondhand from someone who apparently used it as a kitty scratching-post or, more likely, a speed bump. The fake vinyl leather has peeled in various places, the hinges are slowly rusting away, and if ever there was any semblance of an interior lining, it has long gone the way of the $1.75 gallon of gas... need I say more?

Now, this case has borne the brunt of many jokes, derogatory comments, etc. so before he comes back to reclaim it, I want to turn it into something special. If he was into punk, I'd cover it in outlandish stickers, but he's not into punk. So I need some ideas that would appeal to an alt/indie/folky sorta person. I'm open to liberal use of spraypaint, fabrics, etc. I just need ideas!

So I leave it up to you: Pimp My Case!

(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

buy him a new one...cover this one in some sort of preserving agent, laminate (or eqivilient the top) and put 3 legs on it, make it a coffee table... :D

plus you can open it to store things inside it....

iv never seen it done...but i want one!

ReplyQuote
(@cuppajack)
Eminent Member

buy him a new one...cover this one in some sort of preserving agent, laminate (or eqivilient the top) and put 3 legs on it, make it a coffee table... :D

plus you can open it to store things inside it....

iv never seen it done...but i want one!

Now that's an idea!!

Along the same lines as the punk-stickers, you could decoupage the case with magazine and newspaper clippings... Or play money... Make it look like a million bucks!

Short of reupholstering the interior, I'm not sure how you could spiff that up.

Keep us updated on the project.

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

*jumps around excitedly* do mine do mine do mine!! hahahaha :P

i might look around for an old case cause i wouldnt mine trying it... :D

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

put a couple of axles through it, wheels on either end, and then put a chainsaw or lawn mower motor inside, and hook it up to the wheels.

Now play the waiting game. When your friend arrives home, start up the motor and watch your friend as he sees what he thinks is his guitar, tearing off into the sunset at breakneck speed.

That or you could buy fluorescent green fur and cut and staple that inside, and buy some really bad kiddie style contact, the kind of stuff our mums used to put on our school books (i recommend either power rangers or ninja turtles) and you've got a possibly even more embarrassing, but genuinely hilarious alternative to the eyesore it once was. that plus it will help protect the guitar and the case a lot better.

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you're a good artist, you could make the table, but, instead of stickers, paint a guitar on the lid.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Or just take pictures of the guitar (front, back, sides) then get them blown up to life size and stick them onto the case. 8)

Or use pictures of a different guitar. Perhaps an insanely expensive one, or a heavily beaten up guitar.

Or maybe just cover it with normal size pictures of hundreds of different guitars?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You could also replace the lid with a sheet of perspex and put a real guitar in the case

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

I love the table idea. Anyone tried this? If so post pics.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

im going to be trying it :D im in the process of trying to locate old cases...youd think they would be easy to find...theyre not!!

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

im going to be trying it :D im in the process of trying to locate old cases...youd think they would be easy to find...theyre not!!

Well when you do find one, please post the results. Now got me interested in trying this as well, maybe the cases are easier to find in the UK, i'll ask around.

Jack

ReplyQuote