Notifications
Clear all

Intermittent bridge pickup problem

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@commanderfun)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone, I have a frustrating problem and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas.

I have a DeArmond M75 from the 2000 timeframe. It has two humbuckers set up like a Les Paul with a three-way pickup selector switch, and independent volume and tone knobs. The problem is that sometimes the bridge pickup will stop working, and of course that's the one I like the sound of the best.

I had a problem like this several years ago and it was fixed by replacing the three-way switch. However, now it's much more intermittent. The input jack wires have broken a few times and I have re-soldered them. However the most recent episode is the most confusing.

I took the guitar out after not playing it for a while, and the bridge pickup would not work. Took it to a local shop, the tech measured the voltage on the output jack and said it looked fine, plugged it in and it worked. I took it home, and it worked fine, so I played the guitar for a while. Then I broke a string, and the pickup quit working at the same time for some reason. The next day I replaced the strings, and while retuning checked the pickup, and it was working again. I put the guitar down, plugged it into my amp, picked it back up, and the pickup didn't work again. Plugged it back into the tuner and the pickup was still dead.

I don't think it's the cables since they work fine with my other guitars. I guess I'm wondering if it's some sort of grounding issue or short, as it seems I've eliminated the obvious possibilities.

Thanks

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Have you sprayed the 3-way selector switch with contact cleaner or light oil (while protecting your paint or lacquer)? Looking for viability in the down position.

Often, this will do the trick. Otherwise, these toggles sometimes have spun around and need to be straightened, taking tension off the leads.

You can check this by removing the back or rear access cover and looking at the hook ups to the switch. Do not touch while plugged in. :?

Oh, and if the problem persists, you might want to look at the volume control for the bridge pickup, before condemning the switch. :wink:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

That sounds very similar to what was happening to mine...

Mine ended up being a loose solder on one of the switches...

I figured that out by opening up the back, and one by one wiggling each of the wires while picking a string. I eventually found the wire that was causing it to cut in and out and once re-soldered, all was good again.

By the way... why do you have to keep fixing the input jack wires? I hope you aren't tightening the nut from the outside without holding the jack on the inside (and therefore twisting the wires).

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

it sounds like a flaky switch once again. the LP type three-ways can be very finicky. if slightly bent upon installation (v easily done) or dirty, they go intermittent. I usually ID the switch as the problem by flicking it back and forth many times, while lightly strumming or picking. of course the other thing to check the pup wires soldering integrity.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

The exact same thing is happening to me. I have a Jackson JS30DKT. I just noticed tonight that the bridge pickup is putting out almost no volume. Yet I get plenty of volume with the selector switch in the middle position and neck pickup position. My input jack loosens, and I've just given it a finger twist to slightly tighten. I'm learning that's bad. :roll: I'll use the tips here.

Edit:

I took the back plates off and blew out dust. Nothing is broken off. All the connections look to be soldered solidly, including the wire to the input jack. I gave that a proper tightening. Sooo, I guess I just need a new switch too. Not an emergency, because I usually keep the switch in the middle position. It'll just be an annoyance for the time I'm without the guitar.

Edit:

OK, I went to the guitar shop. I got a can of electronics cleaner. It's called Electro- something or other. Small white can, blue lettering, red squirt extension.

I opened the back of the guitar, sprayed everything good and proper per directions. Still no sound, or at least very little sound from bridge pickup unless I crank up the volume. But then if I use the middle position, the walls shake.

The guy in the shop told me it's a very common problem with any guitar make. It could be the switch or the pickup itself. One or the other or both will have to be replaced.

So, off to the repair shop when I get a chance. I'm not savvy enough to do this.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Just an update for anyone experiencing the same problem, or who's interested...

I got my guitar back last night. It was definitely the bridge pick up. The tech called and told me the old one was a standard that Jackson uses. He asked if I wanted the same one or a better DiMarzio. I said go for the DiMarzio. He replaced the 3-way switch also. Total of $90+. He said I could replace the neck pick up later on if I wanted to, but for now it's fine.

But what a sound difference! DiMarzio gives you 30 days to play and decide if you want to keep the pick up or switch it out for another with a different sound. I don't know enough to be able to judge. I was just blown away by the volume and tone.

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

For testing pickups themselves, I had done an ohm reading in the past; Somewhere in the range of 7K - 18K seems to be the norm, if my memory serves me. If you google, there is info. on the web about it. I've also seen a guy take a length of zip cord & put a 1/4" jack on one end & alligator clips on the other.

Course, this will test the entire circuit, you can go through all the switch positions. I guess if the result of all is close readings, you are in good shape. I haven't done a lot of this, as I have never really had much pickup trouble. But it would be helpful in determining if the p'up has a short or very high resistance, indicating a bad one.

I wonder if one would go about measuring active pickups via. the same method...I guess the batt. would need to be connected to complete the circuit - I see the EMG 89 is listed at 10Kohms...

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I think you should buy a new guitar.

You really don't need to, but right now you have an excuse. :wink: Once you fix this problem, the guitar-buying excuse goes away. So buy a new guitar, then fix this one. Simples. 8)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I think you should buy a new guitar.

Once you fix this problem, the guitar-buying excuse goes away. So buy a new guitar, then fix this one. Simples. 8)

I like the way you think. :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I wonder how CommanderFun is doing with the De Armond? Still one post only at this point. Pretty cool that some are still willing to dicuss the problem, and talk about solutions. 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote