Intonation help

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@yioryos)
Topic starter  

Hey now,

so I would appreciate some help with this issue:

I have a fender strat with a floyd rose, and the G string is unable to be properly tuned. So the higher I move up the fretboard the more out of tune the string sounds. It sounds in tune when i play an open chord, but 5-6 frets up - it sounds way out of tune. I dont have much experience with maintenance - all i can think of are the bridge saddle screws might need adjusting.

Can anyone help?
Thank you

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, sounds like you need to adjust the saddle.

Play the 12th fret harmonic on that string, then the 12th fret as a fretted note. Which one is higher?

If the harmonic is higher, the string length is too long, and your saddle piece needs to move towards the peghead. If your fretted note is higher, the string length is too short, and you need to move the saddle towards the bridge.

Be sure you have new strings on the guitar when you adjust - old strings can screw up the intonation because the mass isn't distributed right along the string. So if the G string is old, change your strings first - there's always a chance that'll solve the problem without any adjustment :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@yioryos)
Topic starter  

Great!
Thanks Ill try this out

Yeah this intonation problem has been around for a while - new strings too have the same problem

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Check out this article at the Fender Player's club:

http://www.fenderplayersclub.com/front_office/intonation.htm

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

I have an intonation question aswell.

I'm intonating my strat style guitar right now, i get it pretty close, but not quite. Can i take off the springs on the saddle so i can lengthen the strings a little more? Or would that mess everything up?

Thanks in advance

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote