Clear all

Installing Pickups in a semi hollow

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@elpantalla)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I am going to be getting an Epi Sheraton soon, and I want to switch out the stock pickups for some GFS Memphis's.

I hear that it's a pain in the ass to replace pickups in semi hollows. Why is that? I've never replaced a pickup before or anything. They'll charge me like 80 at the Guitar Center, so screw them.

How would I go about doing it?

One chord is fine.
Two you're pushing it.
Three and you're into jazz.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I hear that it's a pain in the donkey to replace pickups in semi hollows. Why is that? I've never replaced a pickup before or anything. They'll charge me like 80 at the Guitar Center, so screw them.

If there's no removable plate on the back of the guitar, then consider how you're going to access the pots for soldering the wires. You literally have to fish for them through the f-holes, remove them to get your work done, then reinstall everything back through the f-holes. What most do, I think, is tie strings to the electronics, then pull everything out through the pickup cavity; the strings let you pull the pots back to their respective locations.

Read this thread and look at the photo of the 335 with everything laying on top:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1203069

HAVE FUN! Because if you don't, you'll want to smash the guitar over your own head after a few hours. :lol:

$80 would be cheap for that labor, imho.

HOWEVER, what you can also do is snip the wires at the pickups and do your work there ... much easier, and probably what the tech will do for that price.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, tie dental floss to any pots, switches, etc. that you may have to remove through the F-holes, leave the long threads hanging where they went through, tie them to the shafts of the new ones and use them to pull them into position.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi,

It could be interesting: http://www.guitarristas.org/index.php?pid=65

The page explains how to change the pickups of a Gibson ES-335. It is not the same guitar but it is also challenging.

ReplyQuote