Skip to content
Intonation problems...

Notifications
Clear all

Intonation problems and high action (7-string guitar)

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@residualhaunting)
Topic starter  

I recently bought a ridiculously cheap 7-stringed guitar with a "Licensed by Floyd Rose" tremolo. As could be expected, the quality isn't exactly top-notch and I'm having problems with it; the action is too high and the intonation is flat on all strings at the higher frets (12-24). The higher the fret, the flatter the fretted note.

I have adjusted the intonation at the bridge, shortening the strings as much as possible, but the intonation is still flat.
The nut definitely needs to be lowered a bit, but because placing a capo on the first fret doesn't fix the intonation completely, and the action remains quite high even though I've lowered the bridge all the way down, I assume there's something going on with the bridge, too. The neck is straight enough, so that's not an issue.

Advice, anyone?

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I'm no expert on the Floyd system, but I do know that pictures are always helpful in diagnosing potentially complex issues like this.
Pictures showing the sting height (with something for reference in the picture) and pictures of the bridge and saddles would be a big help for us to help you.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@dirtyroger)

I'm no expert on the Floyd system, but I do know that pictures are always helpful in diagnosing potentially complex issues like this.
Pictures showing the sting height (with something for reference in the picture) and pictures of the bridge and saddles would be a big help for us to help you.

I agree post pics! You may need to shim the neck, is it a bolt on neck :?:

Guitar setup and repair!
http://www.dirtyguitarguide.com

ReplyQuote