Clear all

Intonation probs on G

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@sarton)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The intonation on my guitar is off: When it's tuned, it rings true open and 12th fret as G. However, when I fret any note the tuning is off. It's worst at the first fret (off by 20+ cents), and gets progressively better as I move up the fretboard (5-10 cents at the 8th fret). This is on a Godin Freeway Classic, which has recently been restrung with Elixir Nanoweb Custom Lights. I have not noticed this problem on any other string.

Suggestions for remedies? As always, thanks in advance.

A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Godin Freeway Classic, PodXT Live, Seymour-Duncan 84-50.
(All this so I could learn 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little' Star for my youngest.)

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

probably the nut slot is cut too high.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Nick's explanation makes sense... but I noticed something funny about acoustic Nanowebs just now on Elixir's website: the G string on the custom light 011-052 set is actually thinner than the G string on their Extra light 010-047 set (.022w vs .023w).

My early morning geometry is a bit fuzzy, and I'm thinking the thinner gauge should be flatter as you go down the frets... but since you said you haven't noticed it with other strings, so I checked some common manufacturers for acoustic sets with an 011 high E to see what they use on G:

Gibson J-200 ultra light: 024
Fender Phosphor Bronze light: 023
D'Aquisto Bronze 723: 023
Ernie Ball 80/20 light: 022
GHS Extra Light: 022
Dean Markley: 022 on light, 024 on TLT

Since half the manufacturers I checked use a heavier G, you might want to check and see what gauges you've used in the past before hacking up the nut.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@sarton)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The original set of strings were 9-11-16-26-36-46 (Godin). I replaced them with the same: 9-11-16-26-36-46 (Elixir Custom Lights). I didn't pay much attention before, but I'm sure the G sounded funny with the Godin brand as well. I recall adjusting the intonation slightly for the high three strings (G-B-e), because they sounded odd. If it's the nut, I doubt I'll become involved in altering it; I'll take it back to the store and have them fix it. Thoughts?

A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Godin Freeway Classic, PodXT Live, Seymour-Duncan 84-50.
(All this so I could learn 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little' Star for my youngest.)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Ditto what Nick said -- your description is right on for a too high nut slot. There is also the possibility the nut is chipped or the slot misshaped, so the string isn't actually captive right at the face of the nut, but a little further back. This would have a very similiar effect.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Just in case you need a third or forth I agree that it does sound like a problem at the nut. Quick check, fret the G string at the third fret lightly and see how much of a gap there is between the string and top of the first fret. Should be just noticeable around 5 thousandths of an inch.. Also make sure the nut slot is angled down towards the tuners. and that the string is just sitting on the fretboard side of the nut.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

As for taking it back, they're more likely to ahve the proper set of file etc, unless you really like tinkering?
Also you'll just have to use your own judgement about who you want touching your stuff. After trying several places, I know who I'd go to in Toronto.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote