Clear all

Dented/Pitted Top of My Acoustic

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@lawdude)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Any advice would be appreciated. As I was taking my acoustic out of the case the other night to play, the lid accidentally fell down and one of the metal closure tabs from the lid slammed into the top of my guitar before I could get it all the way out. The result was two small dents or pits in the top near the lower bottom edge. I would say one is about the size of a pencil eraser, and the other is about half that size. Neither is very deep, but the top is clearly marred and sratached around the site of damage. Natually, I'm just sick about it. However, my acoustic is not very expensive -- it's a lower end Takamine. Nonetheless, I'm troubled by any imperfection in _my_ ax. Anyone have any thoughts about fixing these blemishes on an otherwise great looking guitar? Fortunately, the guitar still sounds the same. So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Ever notice that the world "listen" contains the same letters as "silent"?

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Sorry, but I would fix you before the guitar. Stuff like this happens and as much as you try, it is hard to control. If you worry about fixing every scratch and dent then you will find yourself playing the guitar less and worring TOO much about the little things. You say it still plays fine right..... Go with the flow! Nothing is perfect!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Mike is right. No real need to worry about it. Like in another active thread "your guitar now has character".

One piece of advice though. Don't try to fill it that never seems to work. You could try the old moisture trick. Moisten a cloth (moist not wet) and lay it over the dings for a few hours or over night. Try to cover just where the ding is. That can actually swell the wood a little and actually raise it.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I wouldn't bother worrying about it. Instruments are meant to be played and along with play comes wear. That means scratches and dings simply because of the frequency that your instrument is handled. Of course, you do what you can to avoid damage, just don't make it an obsession.

If all your focus is on small stuff you might miss the big.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@lawdude)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Guys, thanks for all the advice! That's what is so great about this site -- there are experienced people to help guys like me see things in perspective. You're all right, my guitar definitely has some character now.

Maybe I was just trying to make my ax look mean! :-)

Ever notice that the world "listen" contains the same letters as "silent"?

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Funny story.....

I was changing the strings on my Am Strat Deluxe and when I went to cut the excess off the tuner with my wire cutters, I cut a 1 and a half inch long gouge in the top left horn. Down to bare wood!

My reaction, oh well! In the blink of an eye that happened. Stuff like that will happen and if it doesn't affect the sound, I could care less.

Happy grinding, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Character happens.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

I don't see how you can play the guitar without scratching it now and then. I think my playing improved when I stopped worrying about what it looks like, and concentrated on how it sounds.

ReplyQuote