Notifications
Clear all

Is my nut useable/repairable?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@sonofjabba)
Topic starter  

I'm trying to get this Old Gemini II Fender 12 string back to playing again. I got it missing 5 tuning head mismatched bridge pins, and the nut has some damage See pics. Everything Else I can figure out. But the nut has me lost. :?: I never completely replaced one before.

PJ
Bensalem, Home of Rita's water ice!
I have too many Guitars....

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Since you've never done this, I recommend using a precut nut - esp for a 12-string. I believe http://www.stew-mac.com sells these. So if you have the correct measurements (mainly width), you can order one made of good materials (bone, corian) or even plain ol' plastic (cheapo, tho). Even Guitar Center has pre-molded plastic 12-string nuts. Remove the broken nut by laying a piece of straight wood against its face (toward the bridge), and tap that wood gently with another piece of wood -- or VERY lightly with a hammer to loosen and free the nut. Again - been gentle, as you want to break the glue by shocking it, not split any wood. If you are going to a store or local tech (good idea for better results),take the old nut (or guitar with nut to a tech) into the store and match the width with the approprate pre-slotted nut. If that is correct, the only real adjustment on a pre-slotted acoustic guitar nut will be filing/sanding the bottom to get the right string height. Just lay the bottom of the nut on a file or sandpaper on a hard, flat block or surface and move the nut to sand away the height.

Nuts are cheap. I usually buy a couple in case of screw-up. Make sure all the old glue is removed from the nut seating surface on the guitar - scrape gently until the surface is nice and clean and flat. Glue on the new nut with a couple, small drops of superglue -- press firmly and viola!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote