Clear all

Is short scale prone to fret buzz?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@alien)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a Jaguar with the bridge height & bridge saddle height set up pretty much the way it should be, actually I raised the bridge slightly from the factory setup when I first got it. The action seems about right except the B string buzzes a little, and buzzes quite a bit when doing bends. But the other 5 strings are just fine, and the string's saddle height is in line with the adjacent saddles. (Especially important on a jag so the mute works right.)

Is this something a guitar tech could fix, or is buzzing just part of the price you pay for short scale?

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I have a Jaguar with the bridge height & bridge saddle height set up pretty much the way it should be, actually I raised the bridge slightly from the factory setup when I first got it. The action seems about right except the B string buzzes a little, and buzzes quite a bit when doing bends. But the other 5 strings are just fine, and the string's saddle height is in line with the adjacent saddles. (Especially important on a jag so the mute works right.)

Make sure both screws on the saddle are in firm contact with the plate underneath. If they're not, one side of the saddle will vibrate and buzz.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@alien)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I checked that, I'm pretty sure it's OK. There's no rattling from the bridge. The effect is kind of like a pinch harmonic, it's noticable when playing through an amp. (Actually it's kind of cool sometimes.)

It pretty much goes away above about the 10th fret. Does that mean there's a lumpy fret?

ReplyQuote
 Jayy
(@jayy)

A short scale = less string tension so it will be more likely to buzz at same action height as a longer scale. Your buzz sounds more like something is vibrating than a fret buzz. You can sometimes get problems of the string between the nut and machinehead vibrating if there's not enough of an angle to hold it down. Having said that you should have a string retainer for the B so may be worth checking it's there and doing it's job.

ReplyQuote
(@alien)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

A short scale = less string tension so it will be more likely to buzz at same action height as a longer scale.

That's the answer I was looking for, thanks. (I just don't know enough guitar-speak to ask the question well.)

I had my instructor look at the jag, it'll have to go to the shop. Just by eyeballing it he could tell the neck is bolted on crooked (I noticed that when I first got it), the truss rod is a little out of whack and it looks suspiciously like the neck is shimmed. This stuff is all the way it came from the factory.

ReplyQuote