Clear all

Jack Intermittent Buzz

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My guitar has just started to buzz intermittently, I am fairly sure it comes from where the cable plugs into the guitar. I have tried different cables, same effect.

It wasn't like this before, I have had the guitar about 2 months.

I know there must have been earlier posts on this but I couldn't find them - sorry if I am repeating a question.

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

What type of guitar is it?

I had the same problem with my Squire Strat, found out it was the 5-way switch and my friend sprayed it with something that solved the problem.

Sorry, I forget what he used, but it was an electronic cleaner of some sorts. I don't know the exact brand.

I know, not a big help, Tracker!!!

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Those jacks are notorious for coming loose. If it is loose, back off the nut and put 'blue' locktight on it and snug it back down. 'Blue' is a type of locktight, not the color of the bottle, 'blue' locktight can come in a red bottle or other color but it will say 'blue' on it. Different 'colors' for different applications. Use only blue, red requires heat to take it back off. Blue will come apart with tools but it won't fall apart on its own. Just a couple of drops is all you would need.

Yes, Tracker.....electrical contact cleaner works wonders for 'scratchy' switches and pot's, tuning dials on radio's too.. Brand won't matter much but I do prefer liquid to be applied with a brush. It helps to apply it and then 'exercise' the switch or pot back and forth continuously to clean it. I would worry about the guitars finish with an aerosol. All electronics stores carry this stuff. 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Its a mexicab strat and is seems to be where the cable plugs into the guitar. Will try some of that electrical stuff you recommended.

I tested the jack - it doesn't appear to be loose but I will check again.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Only two screws hold down a Strat's jack plate. Might pay to pop it of and see if any of the wires need resoldering or the jack contacts need a little bending or re-shaping to increase grab and contact.

Good luck -- G

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote