Clear all

Neck separation repair

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I just got an old Kay archtop. The neck is starting to separate where it meets the body and will only get worse.

How should I repair this? Or is it a job for a luthier?

(@mikey)
Reputable Member

That is a classic picture of a failed glue joint. IMHO The proper repair would be to remove the old glue and reglue and clamp it while it sets.
This would require removing the neck from the body. You could try to scrape or sand the old glue out but you'd probably wind up marring the finish.

Shooting fresh glue into the joint won't do. First glue doesn't bond well to old glue. Second you run the risk of the neck not sitting properly on the body.

Not familiar with the guitar but if it is of any value I would hand it to a luthier.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Michael. I did take it to my instrument repair guy. Not sure if he is a bonified luthier. Anyway....he's going to re-glue it and clamp it. It's not a total separation and it's still playable but the action is high because of it. Luckily, the archtop has an adjustable bridge where I can mess with the action. The repair guy seems to think it will hold ok, and no charge if it doesn't work. The frets are REALLY worn down and it is after all, a cheap guitar. The only reason I want it is that it's just like my first guitar that my dad bought me when I was a teenager.

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

... and it is after all, a cheap guitar. The only reason I want it is that it's just like my first guitar that my dad bought me when I was a teenager.

I understand fully. I have one of those too. Hardly ever play it but will never give it up.

Maybe cheap but at the same time it is also priceless.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote