Skip to content
Laney VC15 amp dies...

Notifications
Clear all

Laney VC15 amp dies... Then lives again!

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, I am new to tube amps and could use a little help. I bought a Laney VC15 last year and living in an apartment I havn't been able to try it out a lot. However, when I'm using it now the sound suddenly dies after 10-15 minutes. So I turn it off, wait a couple of minutes, put it back on and it works again. Play another 10-15 minutes, the same thing happens. Yes, it is a bit annoying.

I'm sure I won't be having any trouble getting it fixed at the store I bought it because it only was bought six months ago. But it would be nice to know if it something that is easy to fix instead of having to carry it on public transport in to town.

So, does anyone recognize this problem? If feels exactly like it turns itself off because it's overheated but that would be ridicolous when I am playing with the volume at one.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So if nobody on this forum know what the problem could be, does anyone know a good place where people would know, like an amptech forum?

I ordered a couple of power tubes to see if it helps, and I'm waiting for them now. However, I am a little bit hesitant to changing them if the amp is broken and there could be dangerous voltages in the amp.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Sorry I don't know anything about the amp but I was thinking the same thing (overheating) and then saw you had the same idea. I wouldn't discount that as the problem just because you are running the amp at 1 anytime there is current running through a circuit you are going to generate heat, and it might be that one of the components (wish I could tell you which one) is overly sensitive to it or is damaged.

I'd just google any amp forums and look for similar situations, but my guess is this isn't going to be about something that's loose so what are you going to do when you find out it's an internal part?...bring it to a shop most likely right?.. I know it sounds like a hassle but I think your best bet is to bring to the shop you bought it at and have them take a look and get the process started you could end up searching for weeks without an answer, unless you have other amps to use then no big deal.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, thank you.

I'll just wait until I get the tubes, then bring both the amp and the new tubes to the store and they can try to fix it. I read somwhere that Laneys do have a bit of problem with quality control and setups nowadays. Someone had a similar amp where the bias was set way off and it would run to hot and shorten the tubes life. Even though I have a bachelors degree in electrical engineering I'm lost when it come to tube technology, so I'll let someone with experience check it.

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So i went back with it and they think it could be a tube problem. They'll send it to service and hopefully call back in a week.

It is typical. I just sold my old amp when I noticed this problem. I have mostly played my acoustic because my downstairs neighbour seems to hear just about everything. If there is any sound after 10 pm she'll come up and complain. Even on friday nights. Once she came up when I was playing my acoustic and asked if I could stop playing my electrical guitar :o .

And now I want to play my electrical because I'm playing with a new drummer this saturday.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Great to have neighbors huh?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I actually got an answer from Laney.

"Hi Niklas,

Thanks for the email, this sounds as though it could be a polyswitch fault, which needs replacing.

I would advise that you contact the retailer that sold you the amplifier, as hopefully they can advise you on how to repair the amplifier.

Best Regards
Adam Groves"

Hopefully I'll find out what it was next week. Really missing playing my electric now.

ReplyQuote
(@anguscameron)

Hi, sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have exactly the same problem with my VC15.

Did you get yours fixed, and did they confirm that it was the polyswitch?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote