Notifications
Clear all

Replaced input jack, now no signal except on Bridge p/u

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@astronomer)
Topic starter  

Hey all, first post. I need some serious help! I have a Yamaha aes 800 electric that I recently replaced the input jack on because it was cutting out intermittently (I actually have 2 of these guitars and did it on the other one without any problems at all) but after replacing it I was getting no signal at all out of the guitar. It worked fine besides the cutting out before. A friend and I took it apart again and realized maybe one of the fibers on the input jack wires got crossed and tried doing it again, but this time now all I get is signal out of positions 1 and 2 on the switch (bridge and bridge coil split). We have compared the wiring with the other guitar and the diagram, and nothing is different. Any ideas on what this could be? Definitely don't want to have to spend 60 bucks or more to fix it when it should work. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

Did you happen to damage the pickups? I changed the pick guard on my Strat last week, and had trouble getting the bridge pickup in place. After I got it all back together everything worked fine except when the selector was in that position. I ended up having to take it in and have it checked out. Turned out I had damaged the wires wrapping the pickup. Apparently the can be pretty sensitive.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

My guess is that when you pulled the wires to solder on the new jack, you pulled one of the other wires [to that one pickup] loose on one of the pots. Its not that hard to do, and some of them are not solderd on real well.. a little tug on a bad solder joint, and its game over. I recomend checking all the connections on all the pots.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@astronomer)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies. I didn't touch the pickups at all. Just the jack and the wiring inside...my friend tested each pickup position and only got juice out of those 2...I will check it out again though. All the wiring seemed to be identical to the working guitar, but some of the wires were different colors.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Thanks for the replies. I didn't touch the pickups at all. Just the jack and the wiring inside...my friend tested each pickup position and only got juice out of those 2...I will check it out again though. All the wiring seemed to be identical to the working guitar, but some of the wires were different colors.
Might be wise to just resolder all of them. As for the how its wired.... it worked before, so dont worry about what goes where.... Just what you might have disturbed wile doing the jack.

Paul B

ReplyQuote