Clear all

Locking nut?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rdwsr1964)
Topic starter  

Hey guys,
Hope someone can help me.I'm about to purchase a Carvin DC127 with a Floyd Rose tremolo,and it say's I have the option of getting it with ,or without a locking nut.What's the difference?I've never owned a guitar with a tremolo before so it'snew territory.Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks! :oops:

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

A locking nut is a good idea with a Floyd Rose Trem, as it will increase the tuning stability through wide whammy bends.

OTOH, if you are a light trem user (light to moderate bending, not a dive bomber) you may not really need a locking nut, but then you should at least get locking tuners. However, if you DO get the locking nut, don't bother with locking tuners, as they become irrelevant once the nut is locked down.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Don't forget to loosen the nut before you tune! (And to recheck the tuning after you retighten the nut.)

Floyd Roses and locking nuts are a PITA to work with, but they do what they're supposed to do.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

Don't forget to loosen the nut before you tune! (And to recheck the tuning after you retighten the nut.)

Floyd Roses and locking nuts are a PITA to work with, but they do what they're supposed to do.

Some (most even) have tuners down by the bridge so you can tune after locking the nut. You can't make big tuning changes, but you can definitely tune up which doesn't make it too much of a PITA. However, if you're one who changes your tuning a lot, a locking nut is definitely a PITA.

I have an Ibanez with a locking nut, and my fender has locking tuners instead. I probably like the locking tuners better though.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Some (most even) have tuners down by the bridge so you can tune after locking the nut. You can't make big tuning changes, but you can definitely tune up which doesn't make it too much of a PITA. However, if you're one who changes your tuning a lot, a locking nut is definitely a PITA.

All guitars with locking nuts need fine tuners at the trem -- anyone with a reasonable sense of relative pitch and tuning would go insane with out them.
I have an Ibanez with a locking nut, and my fender has locking tuners instead. I probably like the locking tuners better though.

If you are careful about string wrapping (minimal) with locking tuners, they will work almost as well as a locking nut -- esp if you are only a moderate trem user. If you are a dive-bombing maniac, and/or don't have a clue about the subtleties of string wrapping -- def get the locking nut.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

If you are careful about string wrapping (minimal) with locking tuners, they will work almost as well as a locking nut -- esp if you are only a moderate trem user. If you are a dive-bombing maniac, and/or don't have a clue about the subtleties of string wrapping -- def get the locking nut.

I was pretty sure all locking nuts had fine tuners, but I wasn't sure ;)

I'm pretty sure the manual for my Fender says no wrapping at all with the locking tuners it uses. I don't wrap at all and they work really well, even with moderate trem use. Obviously for non locking tuners you have to wrap as per usual.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'm pretty sure the manual for my Fender says no wrapping at all with the locking tuners it uses. I don't wrap at all and they work really well, even with moderate trem use. Obviously for non locking tuners you have to wrap as per usual.

That would be best for locking tuners. Should you wrap any more than a partial turn, then trem use can cause the turns to "rewrap" differently" during the loosening (down-bend) and re-tightening (return) => change in tuning.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote