Clear all

Lotus Guitars

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
(@thequietrioter)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone...

I have a vintage Lotus guitar that I am trying to restore. It's a Les Paul style replica.

It is still in excellent condition (very solid instrument), except for the hardware which has accumulated some rust build up over time.

I am replacing the neck and bridge pick-ups, saddle and tail piece.

My question is...Does anyone have any information they can give me about the internal construction of these Lotus guitars?

This poor thing has sat in a case for many, many years untouched.
I am trying to save some money by doing a majority of the replacements myself, but before I go digging into it. I want to know everything I can first.

The Lotus manufacturer went out of business many moons ago, so I am sort of floating solo in this restoration process.

Any tips or advice you can offer would be awesome.

Here's a pic of it...Sorry I couldn't post it bigger.

"For those about to rock, I solute YOU!"

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN,
i doubt you can find anything useful about lotus on the web as i've done a fair search and found very little info.
i would take it to a luthier and get some measurements to see what kind of hardware might fit.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@thequietrioter)
Topic starter  

Oh thanks, man. I have searched the web far and wide as well.

I was only able to come up with a lot of reviews from owners, and some listings on Ebay.

I did some measurments myself, and it seems to be universal in size.

I want to put a Dimazrio Air Norton in the neck, and an Air Classic in the bridge.

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Vey cool guitar! Please let us know how it progresses.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Good luck w/ the restoration. But, I think you might spend more on it than it is worth. There are plenty of good used guitars out there for really low prices. If you like Les Pauls, check out Epiphone LPs on ebay. I think the sell in the $200-250 range, in pretty good condition. Or, for $99 you can join the Squier 51 "club" ---> half the posters here own one!

Unless you really want to put in the time, effort and $$$ ---> if so, then go for it. Working on guitars isn't really HARD, but it does require some skill and experience. Do you have any friends with experience fixing guitars?

ReplyQuote
(@thequietrioter)
Topic starter  

Good luck w/ the restoration. But, I think you might spend more on it than it is worth. There are plenty of good used guitars out there for really low prices. If you like Les Pauls, check out Epiphone LPs on ebay. I think the sell in the $200-250 range, in pretty good condition. Or, for $99 you can join the Squier 51 "club" ---> half the posters here own one!

Unless you really want to put in the time, effort and $$$ ---> if so, then go for it. Working on guitars isn't really HARD, but it does require some skill and experience. Do you have any friends with experience fixing guitars?

I bought this Lotus for only $50.00, and I want to fix it to be something I can be proud of.

I have checked prices for these on Ebay, and have found them selling for $300+ on some auctions.
Found one on Yahoo just like mine that sold for $525.00.

I figure what I put into it will be worth it. I have a friend that works for the Musician's Friend Clearence Center here in Kansas City, and I have had the opportunity to get parts for it at really good prices.

I know only one person that works on guitars, but his schedule is so crazy I am afraid to ask for his help because he is stressed out all the time from all the work he does.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

I say fix it up...you will be proud of your achievement and no one else on your block will have an axe like yours. Anyone can buy a guitar only a true guitar lover will appreciate what has gone into your Lotus. Besides it looks like a cool axe. Keep us up to date on your progress.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

My question is...Does anyone have any information they can give me about the internal construction of these Lotus guitars?

I also have an older Les Paul look-alike (although yours looks much nicer). Mine is from the early '70s, and is branded "El Degas".

The easiest way to find out about the construction is to take off the 2 covers on the back - one behind the pickup switch, and the larger one behind the controls.
They are held on with small phillips screws (but you probably already noticed that), and come off quite easily.
That should let you get a good view of the wiring (and access to change it), and the interior of the guitar.

What I discovered when I first did this is that my guitar is made out of...
Plywood :shock:
2 layers of 3/4" construction grade with an outer skin of something smoother.
Ok, it's not at all classy, and it's darn heavy, but the body will never warp.
De-laminate, maybe, but never warp.

Take a peek under the covers and see what you find. You'll need to go in there to re-wire when you replace the pickups, anyway.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote