Clear all

Mandolin Buzz

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

All of a sudden my mandolin has developed a buzz at the fourth fret. A really annoying buzz. I can't afford to take it in anywhere (I'm not broke, but I'm badly bent, as the Tractors stated so eloquently!). I'm sure it probably has something to do with the truss rod. Does anyone know anything about adjusting the truss on a mandolin? Your help will be greatly appreciated!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

From everything I've read posted here and elsewhere, it might be a weather related problem unless you have a fret that has worked it's way up a bit.

I think since you are in a similar environment as me, it would seem like you need more humidity. It's been really dry up here and I think you are almost directly south of me be it a 1000 miles or so. Our air has been very cold and very dry.

Not sure if I'm accurate or not but my neandertal suggestion might be to find a way to add humidity and see if it straightens out. My understanding with the truss rod is that if you make an adjustment now you may correct the problem currently, when the weather changes again you'll have another problem due to the humidity conditions say in Summer.

A buddy here at work and I discussed this problem as his guitar and mine did the same thing only at different places on the guitar. One suggestion we thought of was to take it in the bathroom when you take a shower and maybe it'll absorb some of the moisture given off by the shower.

I have no idea if it's feasable and a fix but it's a quick and easy way to expose your fiddle to moister air.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

You know, that's an interesting point that I hadn't thought of. We've been VERY dry for the past few months. And, as I think about it, the buzz started as a very slight, almost unnoticeable buzz, and it's gradually gotten worse and worse until I hate to hit that fourth fret! I've been looking through my music to find stuff that doesn't require the fourth just to avoid the buzz! LOL! I'll dig out my humidifier and give it a shot. Thanks Bish! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

NP, I hope it helps. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I think I just found the answer to my original question in case it's not a case of too little humidity. In case any other mandolin players out there need to adjust their trussrod, Folk Of The Wood has a page about it here.... http://www.folkofthewood.com/page1281.htm

And here's one that has pictures! http://www.gibson.com/magazines/amplifier/1998/6/tipsheet.html

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote