Clear all

Hum with les paul copy

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@noobie)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I recently bought a 60-70s Kent Les Paul copy at a local pawn shop (I'm into old stuff, even if it is considered crap) due to it's old age and affordability ($100). They wouldn't let me turn the volume up while I was playing it at the pawn shop so I didn't notice a hum until i brought it home.

I figured it was just a bad ground somewhere, so I looked online for wiring diagrams of les pauls. I must say I was a bit overcome. It doesn't look like the electronics are conveniently accessible at all in terms of connecting them together (looks like they are in fenders). I thought someone could maybe guide me on where to start at as I don't know where the electronics should be grounded so that I can avoid hum(I won't have all the screwdrivers neccessary to start until tomorrow).

I've never done any type of guitar work and am not very experienced with soldering. That said I'm an electrical engineering major in college and have been dying to actually get my hands on something for practice and I don't have money to get repairs. I'd really like to work on it myself if possible.

And just for your information I may come be coming back with more questions as the action is too high, and I don't like how the low E sounds (It just doesnt sound right anywhere). I was hoping to be able to take it in to a local shop and get a suggestion and/or advice on it.

Thanks alot for any information. Also if you have questions or concerns feel free to express them.

plz im a noob

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

have you eliminated the possibility that the amp could be causing the hum, etc?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

have you eliminated the possibility that the amp could be causing the hum, etc?

Also, how close to the amp are you? My LP does not hum but will when I get within 2 feet of the amp. Just feedback that sounds like a hum.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It used to be common for cheap guitars to have pickups that looked like humbuckers, but actually were single coils. Some of them will fool you if you don't really study them closely.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@noobie)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I figured it couldnt be the amp since i have a fender squier that doesn't hum and i can't even get feedback on it unless unless i use an external stomp box with gain and volume all the way (it is super quiet).

I plugged in the les paul copy to check distance (I normally play about 3-4 ft. away) and for some reason there wasn't a hum anymore. Just last night it was significant, but not this morning. I even moved it in close then far away then in close and all was fine. Weird...

Thanks for the responses.

plz im a noob

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Wow, I am glad we were able to fix it 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote