Skip to content
Mosquito Repellent ...

Notifications
Clear all

Mosquito Repellent & Guitar Varnish (HELP)

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rpayne88)
Topic starter  

Hello could anybody give me some advice,

I'm currently traveling in Cambodia with my Simon & Patrick Songsmith Folk Guitar. Because of the ever pesky mosquitoes out here I have to douse myself in mosquito repellent which mainly consists on a chemical called DEET. I believe that the DEET on my fingers have led to the neck of the guitar loosing it's varnish. I'm by no means an expert in guitar repair, in fact I have only recently become proficient enough to take the guitar traveling with me, but now I'm scared if I leave it that it may rot away the neck. Am I over reacting? What is the best course of action to take considering the problem. If all I need to do is re-varnish what can I use? Would nail polish suffice? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I guess that's why I'm here. Any advice would be fantastic.
Below are the details of my Guitar that I copied from the manufacturers website:

Songsmith Folk
Back & Sides : Red Wild Cherry
Top : Spruce (Select Pressure Tested Solid Top)
Fingerboard & Bridge : Rosewood
Finish : Semi Gloss Varnish Burst Finish
Tusq® nut & saddle by Graphtech

Thanks very much,

Johanna.

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

DEET is hard on many plastics and polymer finishes.

As far as I know it doesn't harm wood, just the finish.

That said, DEET residue on the wood might make it difficult to get a good finish repair, unless the residue is properly cleaned.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

Definitely keep DEET away from any plastic components on the guitar (or anything else). I've no idea about how long you need to be in a tropical climate before you have to worry about the exposed wood itself, but someone here will should be able to say if it's a problem if you can say how long you expect to be there. Wikipedia says you should be hitting the dry season about now.

ReplyQuote
(@rpayne88)
Topic starter  

Thank you very much for the swift replies guys. I'm in South East Asia until December, if it is just the finish that is damaged do I need to apply something to re-varnish? If so what can I use/get my hands on out here that will do the job and not cause any further damage to the Guitar?

Thanks Again,
Johanna

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

In my opinion you will not have to re-varnish in the interim. I also don't think you should use nail polish either. Eventually, if you want to use something, visit ReRanch, really! Here's a link and I am not promoting their product, but the advice maybe. http://www.reranch.com/ I haven't used their stuff yet, have done finish repairs with many hardware and body shop items.

I like using acrylic enamel, but it may not be too durable on the back of the neck. Generally that wood can be left alone anyhow, and won't affect the appearance of the front of the guitar. I have two Godin guitars like yours, and with the same finish - one is 20 years old, but haven't put anything volatile, or used solvents near it, it's just beat up otherwise. 'Luck! :)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote