Notifications
Clear all

moving strap buttons

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@klaus)
Topic starter  

I've got a right-handed les paul and I want to move one of the strap buttons so that it will hang with the neck at a bigger angle to the floor (point towards the ceiling more).

I think this can be done by moving the bottom one (farthest from neck) a few inches clockwise around the body of the guitar as you face it from the front with the neck pointing to the right. Describing this is pretty hard but it's a simple concept.

The other way to do it would be to move the top one (near neck) to the underside of the guitar at the place where the neck joins the body. I could even do both, but that would be more work.

QUESTION: Is this a safe thing to do, or should I get some luthier to do it? I realize it would mean drilling a hole straight into the guitar and that would mean... well... what would it mean?

Thanks mucho for help.

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Your intended plan may not do it. I find it's more effective if you move the other button the same way, to the other side of the neck. I have a little line of holes on the side of my bass, left over from when I wanted to modify it a little. I finally moved the neck-end button to the face of the bass, on the ground side of the neck. Your mileage may vary. I don't expect you'd harm the instrument much, al long as you're not too worried about the empty hole. Mine is fine.

ReplyQuote
(@klaus)
Topic starter  

Awesome - thanks. I think I will just buy new buttons to fill the hole.

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

That would look intresting,,,and you'd have an adjustable guitar. 8)

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote