Clear all

mute switch

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

this guy i played with a couple years ago had a switch on his guitar to mute it i think he called it a kill switch how would i wire one of these?

(@trotskyismyniece)
Eminent Member

If you have a gibson style guitar where each pickup has its own volume control, then you can turn one down to 0 and then use the pickup selector as a killswitch. Otherwise, I don't know exactly how you could make a killswitch. I think old Fender guitars like Jaguars and Mustangs had on-off switches for each pickup, maybe you could look into the wiring diagrams for those guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Why not just use the volume knob?

ReplyQuote
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Why not just use the volume knob?
i dont think i could a knob as fast as he could move that switch(it was a momentary switch) that and i change my pickup selections during songs(i play with a les paul)

ReplyQuote
(@toobmasta)
Eminent Member

Unless you have an onboard preamp, it's easy. Just connect the switch so it shorts the ouput hot to ground. That will kill the signal.

ReplyQuote
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Unless you have an onboard preamp, it's easy. Just connect the switch so it shorts the ouput hot to ground. That will kill the signal.
thanks for the help
i was never good at wiring so i might need some more help

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

You'd have to make another hole for the switch, which maybe you don't want to do. You *could* remove one of the tone pots, since a lot of people leave them full-open anyhow (like me), and wire in an on/off switch using that hole. You could put it in between the output jack and the rest. Just whatever wire goes to the 'tip' of the output jack, that's the one you put the switch in between.

Maybe easier is to get a volume pedal. When you want to kill the signal, just pull it back to full-off position.

Or get one of those inexpensive A/B stomp boxes.

ReplyQuote
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

You'd have to make another hole for the switch, which maybe you don't want to do. You *could* remove one of the tone pots, since a lot of people leave them full-open anyhow (like me), and wire in an on/off switch using that hole. You could put it in between the output jack and the rest. Just whatever wire goes to the 'tip' of the output jack, that's the one you put the switch in between.

Maybe easier is to get a volume pedal. When you want to kill the signal, just pull it back to full-off position.

Or get one of those inexpensive A/B stomp boxes.
i like the idea of the volume pedal but i think im going to see about putting the switch in the middle of my volume and tone knobs
so to wire this i just splice the wire that goes to my jack?

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

so to wire this i just splice the wire that goes to my jack?

signal wire 1 to jack tip -------------+----------------- from volume/tone controls
|
|
Switch - - - >
|
|
ground wire to jack sleeve--------------+---------------- from volume/tone controls

Open the switch, happy guitar sound.
Close the switch and the sound stops. Abruptly.

That said, I second the "cheap A/B stomp box" idea. It has the added bonus of acting as an amp mute when you unplug your guitar (unless your audience likes that "GaChunkBzzZZt" sound)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote