Clear all

my acoustics action

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@steveobouttorock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I think the neck must be kind of bowing in, the height of the strings at around the 12th fret is really high an its difficult to fret. What do I do to fix this problem, I dont know how to make adjustmants with the neck so if someone could explain that would be awesome

be good at what you can do-

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Sorry, misunderstood the question.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

A guitar neck has to have some curve to it - if it was perfectly flat, your action wouldn't be consistent when it's under string tension, and you'd have fret buzzing at some points on your neck. You can have two types of curves - the first few frets, say 1-5, could be angled towards the back of the guitar (called relief) which compensates for string tensino. The last few frets, say 15-up, could be angled the same way, and that's called fallaway.

A truss rod adjustment will only change relief. Although there are some decent books (like the Guitar Player Repair Guide) that illustrate proper relief and truss rod adjustment, it's the sort of things I'd take to a pro - watch him adjust it and ask questions. It's easy enough to adjust a truss rod, but if you break the rod you're in for major repair work.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@steveobouttorock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

so your suggesting that I don't do this myself then, considering I have no experiance in it I shouldnt just give it a shot

be good at what you can do-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Repeat after me...

Truss rods are not there to adjust action.

Truss rods are designed to change relief.

The height of the saddle changes the action.

It's like noteboat says, but if it's action you're adjusting you've got the wrong thing in mind.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Often in older guitars the neck pulls forward on the body and must be reset. Here's a page explaining the process: http://fretnotguitarrepair.com/neckresetting.htm

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote