Skip to content
Questions about pic...

Notifications
Clear all

Questions about pickups, saddles and amps...

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@vampirekiller)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Where to start? I'm not very familiar with technical stuff so I've got some questions, as stupid as they may be for some, no let's be true , for the most of you.

Well, I plan to replace the stock pickups of my Fernandes Super Grade Les Paul with Gibson '57 Classic as neck pickup and the '57 Classic Plus as bridge pickup. Will they fit? Is there anything to look out for, I mean since it's a Les Paul copy it should work just fine, I guess. I'm not doing anything myself, but I just want to get some info on it beforehand.

And while I'm at it I thought about getting the plastic saddle replaced by a bone saddle, is that a difficult/"dangerous" process? I guess it's not too expensive, so I thought I'd just take the chance while replacing pickups.

Finally, I'm looking for a good bedroom/practicing amp, currently I own a Marshall MG 15 DFX, while it's okay I just want to know if there's something better (I guess so).
I'm looking for something that covers nice clean sounds and good rock/distorted sound (think Guns n' Roses, Velvet Revolver, The Darkness). I know that a tiny practice amp won't really produce the sound of a huge stack but you get the idea.
The amp is not on top of my list at the moment, first of all I want to get the pickups, but I want to get some directions what amp to try.

That's probably quite a lot I want to know from you guys and I hope I haven't stressed your nerves too much.

Psychedelic Violence ~ X ~ Crime of Visual Shock

(@steveobouttorock)
Estimable Member

the pickups will most likely fit, i have an epi les paul that i have a gibson 57' humbucker in an a seymour duncan pickuk an they fit fine.

be good at what you can do-

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

The humbuckers in my Jay Turser SG copy are slightly smaller than standard (?!), but regular size pickups would fit after taking a file or Dremmel to the pickguard.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

For practice amps, you might try a Line 6 POD. :)

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I don't see any reason why just changing would be a problem. Other than deciding how you wanted to wire them to achieve different sound and tone possibilities. If your not use to soldering I would practice on soldering and desoldering some old electrical parts together. That will help prevent bad solder joints in the future.

Like everything amps are only part of the sound and tone when your on that Quest. Even though there are many modeling amps, pre-amps, multi-effects, etc, that imitate all the possibilities. In my opinion all tube amps are hard to beat when it gets right down to it. Other pieces of equipment that get over looked and are just kind of left out of the picture or some think of them as their secret weapons. They would Equalizers and attenuators. These should on the top of list with other most used effects.

Example being a Volume pedal, lately I've had numerous guitar players coming up to me when I play small to medium venues and ask how I get my guitar to walk out of mix and talk and squawk like I do. Its in my signal chain. I run my volume pedal from a mono instrument output from the pre-amp into a seperate Eq, power amp, speaker setup. when I'm playing rhythm the volume to that combination is blended lightly with the other all sound.(volume low). When I go into lead I step on the volume pedal and with that combination running beyond its saturation point it steps out and gets down. (volume loud).

Experimenting with different sound and tone possibilities and also being able to change between different sounds and tones in real time is also something that takes time and practice to prefect like everything else.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@vampirekiller)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks so far, you've been a great help as always.

Psychedelic Violence ~ X ~ Crime of Visual Shock

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your welcome. Experimenting and practicing. That's what I've always done.

Joe

ReplyQuote