My now broken whammy bar

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

This is kind of a stupid mistake....
I have a fender standard stratocaster and I was trying to change the strings, somehting I had never done before. so I unscrewed the back plate and tried to find out where the strings went. After about 1/2 hour, I didnt know what to do, so I unscrewed my bridge, and at one point was able to hold it sperately in my hands. When my dad discovered what I had done, he immediately but eveyrhting abck the way it was except for one problem, we had switched the plate screws with the bridge screws. 30min later, everything was FINALLY right but now, my bridge is about 4cm higher then it should be, and eveythime I put in the whammy bar, it wont wok because the bridge is alrady raised up. Is my guitar permanetly damaged, or will a guitar repair shop fix this?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

You probably haven't damaged anything.

By "raised up" do you mean tilted forward? (By 4mm not 4cm, I hope.) If so did you reattach the trem springs and tighten the spring claw to properly set the spring tension to pull against the strings and level the bridge plate? (The spring claw is on the neck end of the springs and screwed into the guitar body). Also, better put the proper bridge screw where they belong.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Given what you've done already and the fact that you haven't done anything like this before, I would conclude that you should take it to your local guitar shop/repair shop and promise never to do anything like this again! :lol:

And have them show you the proper way to change strings (it's actually very easy once you do it). They should be kind enough to teach you.

Good luck.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

ok ill do my best to try and clarify this for myself.

like this: screws->x [ saddle ] }
------------------------------ }bridge
I [string insert]
------------------------------------------------------------------------- <-body

where the body and the bridge are paralell, but the bridge seems to be floating

or the bridge is on an angle to the body?

if it's the latter, then Gnease explained it perfectly, but the former means that you now have a floating bridge, and if there are no problems aside from the fact that the bridge is raised, then cool! if the action is too high, you could shimmy the neck. If all this is just too much of a hassle, I would suggest bringing the guitar to a tech, and next time you want to do something your not sure of, read up on it first, or ask here.

ReplyQuote