Clear all

What nut and pickup?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@doc-hollywood)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am really getting into this guitar tweaking stuff.

What type of nuts do you guys like on your guitar necks? i.e bone graphtech and whatever else is out there........ I don't know a whole lot so please educate me.

I also am entertaining the thought of taking my Saga kit and putting HSH pickups on it. Maybe something like P90's and turning it into a hardtail bridge since I have a that cool new/old Squier MIK

The body on the Saga is cut for HSH and I would like to know what you guys like for humbuckers to get that B.B. king type sound. I know you guys will probably say get a Gibson but I want to have a strat type body. I can't leave anything alone and like to tinker and modify stuff.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Bone's an old standard.

Gibson, FWIW, uses Tusq nuts on all their new ones, and Tusq saddles on the acoustics as well. (Plastic ivory substitute.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Here's the Stew-Mac selection:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/String_nuts/String_Nuts.html

If you block the trem or hardtail it, bone, micarta (easier to work) or Tusq are good. For a trem, Delrin or the Graphtech (graphite impregnated probably) will do the trick. The key thing is cutting the slots the right size and shape.

As far as pups, you could find out what's in Lucille (BB's axe), but it probably won't sound the same in a Strat. However, many jazzers swear by humbuckers in the neck position of a Tele -- so this would probably give you an interesting voicing in Strat neck position. Do you realize P90s are single coil? I like them and have a vaguely jazzmaster-shaped semihollow equipped with a pair. They will give you a anything from a nasty, harmonically rich edge (not chimey as a Strat single coil) to a nice mellow sound. They will also pick up a lot of hum -- that's the big downside of P90s. There are alleged humbucking versions (P91), but they don't sound the same.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@doc-hollywood)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

I am really new to all this and so I am reading as many posts as I can find on the subject.

I did not know that about the P90's are single coil. My set up now in the strat copy is quiet. I just want to experiment a little and have fun in the process.

This is all good clean fun and keeps me out of trouble from getting a mistress and going through a nasty divorce with the wife.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

This is all good clean fun and keeps me out of trouble from getting a mistress and going through a nasty divorce with the wife.
Good thinking, save the fooling around for when you are a rock star

"Money for nothing, get my chicks for free" :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Mini humbuckers and Filtertron type pickups (think Gretch or Ricky) can give you a bit of the P90 feel in a humbucking pickup. They are quiet, but have a biting or jangly high-mid presence that is very different than standard humbuckers. I've been considering them for my SG to get more of a Townsend sound, cause the warm and mellow to growly humbuckers that are in it now don't do it for me.
I just got a pseudo-Jazzmaster copy with P90's that hums quite a bit but makes some great sounds in the neck and mid position. I have nothing else that can sound anything like it. Lots of mid-range but with a lot of upper harmonics. The bridge sound is a bit thin, so I'm looking for an appropriately spaced (2 1/8" E to E; know where I can find one?) replacement. Might go with a real Jazzmaster pickup, but I think the poles are too close together.

ReplyQuote