Clear all

My volume knob is loose. Please help!

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@art-of-balance)
Topic starter  

Hello,

I noticed that my top volume knob on my LTD/ESP Kirk Hammet 202 is getting loose and is starting to jiggle around. I gave a peep inside and noticed that when moving the knob around it moves the inside control as well. I would like to tighten up the knob to avoid future problems this might bring with one over turn, however, I can not detect an easy way to tighten things up (inside or outside), or even where to begin (Things are kind of tight in the inside, lots of wiring). Can someone lead me in the right direction to tighten things up? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I am not sure about this particular guitar but there should be either a flat or knurled nut under the knob. Remove the knob and see,. If there is a nut of some sort just hold the pot still from underneath and tighten the nut a little more than hand tight.

The knob may have a screw in the side of it and if not you need to pry it off gently. A spoon works good for doing that as it works like a rocking pry bar.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Even better than a spoon is using a peice of cloth on those knobs without screws. Get the edge of the cloth around and under the knob and gently pull up.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Even better than a spoon is using a peice of cloth on those knobs without screws. Get the edge of the cloth around and under the knob and gently pull up.

I agree, less chance of hurting anything..

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

The spoon method is more exciting though.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

If you really want to live on the edge you can use a spork.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I would say that most will come off fairly easily. Like said before there maybe a small set screw on the side of the knob, either a Allen, Phillips, or even standard. once loosened or removed the knob should remove easily. Then you'll either have to lift the pick guard up enough or have to remove a cover from the back of the guitar. Gently hold the potentiometer and tighten the nut.

Don't over tighten, it may distort or cause the potentiometer's case be out of shape which can cause problems inside the variable potentiometer.

Joe

ReplyQuote