Clear all

Neck relief ... sort of

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ddave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

This guitar is a real wonder. Strangest acting truss rod I have ever seen.
It befuddled me to know end when doing initial set-up several months ago but I got it all set-up nice. So, heres my situation ... I changed out the pickups the other day, going to a set of chrome covered buckers from the original black, un covered pick-ups. With the slightly larger size of the new pups with the covers, the bridge pup wouldnt sit level. Turns out that the pickup ring wasnt centered in the route so the side of the pickup was up against the wall of the pickup route causing it to not sit level. So, I remove the strings again today, fill the original holes and redrill to center the mounting ring and the pup. That went fine but had the strings off for better than 3 hours. Got everything buttoed up and restrung and the neck relief is now out of wack again. So my question is this ... will the neck generally go back to where it was before? How long should I give it before I know whether I need to mess with the relief again ... 24 hours? 48? ... Definitely do not want to mess with this particular truss rod again if I dont have too. So, how long to wait before I know for sure whether it will return or I if have to adjust again? THX

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You guessed it. With the strings off it will move some but the good news is it will probably settle back over night. It does take a little longer for the strings to pull it back up than it does for the rod to pull it down.

There is the possibility that you may have to adjust it but give it a day or two.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ddave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

OK, thanks Nils. I'll check it tomorrow and if it hasn't settled back, I'll give it another day or 2 before messing with it.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I'll toss this in just because it can never be said too many times:

Small turns on that truss rod. 1/8th of a turn at a time is typically plenty for normal adjustments, and let it settle between turns.

I apologize if this is old news to you, but there are a lot of folks who are frustrated with their truss rods, and we later find out they've been giving them a whole rotation per adjustment and wonder why they can't get it right... :roll:

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote