Clear all

Tight Strings

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jonnikon)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,

I am a little puzzled. I don't know much about the mechanics of a guitar and I use an electronic tuner. My strings are still new and so they come out of tune due to stretchng so I am still tuning quite a lot. My problem is that the strings wind up being so tight they feel like they are going to break (especially on the acoustic). I know that guitars are rarely tuned correctly in a guitar shop on display, but it seems that when I find one that sounds relatively in tune the strings feel so easy, not tight like my own guitar's. Any ideas? What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for all help.

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

When I tune up a new set of strings I do it by feel that is how tight the strings are then fine tune with a tuner. I'm usually pretty close to being in tune without the tuner. I can't imagine what could be your problem.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Just in case your tuner if off try tuning with this PC based tuner

Outside of that the only thing that jump out at me is that they are a different sized string than those that came with it that could have thrown things off or it just needs a setup.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like you're noticing that heavier gauge strings tune up tighter. If you want "easier" feeling strings, you need to go down to a smaller gauge. Acoustics are commonly strung with heavier strings than are often put on electrics, but a wide range of gauges are available for both.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

Hi Jonnikon and welcome to GN.

Do you know the guages (number sizes) of the strings? If you have the package they came in, it will say on the pack.

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@jonnikon)
Topic starter  

Hi Jonnikon and welcome to GN.

Do you know the guages (number sizes) of the strings? If you have the package they came in, it will say on the pack.

Dennis
Thank you for the welcome, and for all the replies so far. I actually had both guitars set up at a local shop recently, the electric has 10s and the shop said they put light gauge on the Gibson. The acoustic's light gauge strings do have a wound third string, so they are obviously a bit heavier than the electric's. I think I need to invest in a maintenance book so I won't be so ignorant of the setup of a guitar, huh?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Acoustic light strings commonly are .012-.052". Several lighter gauge ranges could fall under the "Light" term, though. I've got acoustic strings as small as .009" on the first string. I think they're labeled "Ultra Light" or some such.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote