Clear all

Neck twist

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I was given a newer Squier Strat some time ago(the owner didn't play it much and owed me some money so I opted for the axe). I've noticed a very slight neck twist on the bass string side down around the 14th fret. Is there any way to fix it or will I just have to live with it until I eventually need to replace the neck?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

You know, I have an old 70s LP with what's called an S-twist or something; right around the 15th fret or so (which is already into the body) one side is higher than the other and the high E buzzes a little. I have to have the bridge raised on that side to compensate; the regular ToM bridge doesn't have individual saddle height adjustment.

To correct this, I've been told I'd have to have the fretboard planed, which is like having a complete refret done. All the frets would come off, the board would be planed and smoothed, then the regular fret replacement would be done. It's got a bound fretboard so that's a little extra. I think the whole thing was $150 or so when I priced it. Not bad, but...I've been playing it like that for so long, I dunno. You get used to where the buzz is, and then just play around it. It buzzes as you bend notes up across the board.

Then there's that other thing - the Mojo thing; I get the feeling having all the frets replaced would somehow alter the sound. Actually it most likely wouldn't, but the guitar sounds wonderful the way it is and I just don't want to mess with it, you know?

We're old friends.

ReplyQuote