Clear all

NEED ADVICE ON WARPED GUITAR

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 dfun
(@dfun)
Topic starter  

I have a 15 year old Washburn D12SCEN that sat in a closet (probably under tension) without a case for a number of years. First, I apologize sincerely for doing this. Kids, ya know, (now they're off to college).

So, I guess the body has deformed (warped, deformed, collapsed) enough that the action got very high. So high, in fact, that when I had it setup, they had to lower the saddle greatly, to get proper action. Now, the top of the saddle is just barely above the wooden bridge at the high e side of the saddle. Any more change to the body and the e string will be riding on the bridge.

When I asked about this problem, I was told that, "it happens". 1. - Is that true?

2. - Can I "reverse" this by allowing it to suck up some moisture (it's the rainy season here in California) and allow it to dry out, both while under little or no tension? If so, how long might it take? One long cycle or multiple shorter cycles?

3. - If not, what are the steps I need to take and how hard is it to turn this into a slide-only guitar? I figure I put in a normal saddle and maybe higher nut, so that action is higher to avoid bumping the frets with the slide; it might be a good slide set-up. Is this a good idea?

4.- How hard is it to do? Can I do it myself or a do I need a shop to do it; I am pretty handy?

Thanks, for any input,
Dave

(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

yeah tension will bow the neck after a while. technically it would need a neck reset. moisture most likely wont do anything. you can easily make it a slide guitar. put a higher saddle in and buy a brass extender nut. really cheap. it's a common thing to do to a cheaper guitar that gets super high action.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote