Clear all

New builders project update w/photos

21 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I am currently in the process of buiding a guitar from parts. I have a double cut-away shipping from vanzant38. I have a neck coming from GFS.com, it is one of their clearance parts they picked up from some manufacturer. I have some pickups including a Seymour Duncan SH2 for the neck and a Fender Toronado Bridge pickup. I will need the electrical parts, the bridge and stopbar tailpiece, and tuners. I have knobs for the potiometers. I will need a nut, also. I will start taking pictures as soon as the parts start coming in. I am excited for this build.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Cool! Be sure to take pictures along the way!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Cool, bro. I can't wait to see your progress!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Yep, pics to document the progress! When I get a chance, (hopefully over the winter, if things ease up a bit) I would like to start a project like this too!

Have Fun! :)

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

It appears I feel like I have a lot of time on my hands coming up!!!! I just won the auction for these and hope they are compatible.
http://search.ebay.com:80/320155480975_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQfviZ 1"> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320155480975&ru=http://search.ebay.com:80/320155480975_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQfviZ1

http://search.ebay.com:80/110167075174_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQfviZ 1"> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110167075174&ru=http://search.ebay.com:80/110167075174_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQfviZ1

by the way, I don't really even know what this body is, I just felt like a challenge!!!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's a Strat style body and an SG style neck. Gibson SG style, that is. You've got the beginnings of two guitar building projects, now! :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Or, three projects Ricochet. The only thing is that "strat" body ain't really a strat, just and offset double-cutaway. I'll see what I need when the pieces get here and go from there. I'm on vacation starting the 15th or maybe 1/2 way thru the 14th. I already have the batteries in the camera for the documentation. I'm just waiting for the pieces so I can measure and see what I have and where I have to go! I have 2 pieces at the APT. office, but did not get home until after they closed today, thus, I really need to be off early tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I am making progress on both of these. I have some pictures and will try to upload them tomorrow.

The second guitar is actually going to be really interesting. I thought I would need to do some crazy mods with the neck or body. I got the body in and measured the neck pocket. It is only 2" - 2 1/8" wide. I thought surely the Kay neck that was on the way would be too wide. It fit perfectly today when I got it and placed it in the pocket. By the way, they both seem to line up for a 25" scale.

The interesting thing at that point was what I'd do with the body. It is a late 60's Teisco/Kent/Kawai/Heit/Kingston body. My original thought, while waiting on the body was to try and come up with the parts to make it as original as possible. Then, the neck came in and it fit perfectly, so I decided to try and use some things I already have. The neck and body, so I would not have to win another auction and then have a neck laying around. I have a Bigsby Tremolo that will fit this guitar. I need a nut for the first guitar and that is about it. The second guitar needs a neck plate (which is more narrow than I can find easily, don't want to put more holes in the neck and guitar than needed). I will need a pickguard, but it really depends on the PUP configuration I use.

This brings me to my PUP config. - The original one pick-up design is not good for me. I can't seem to find a PUP for the one spot. A mini humbucker is the right size, but the bobbins won't line up with the strings per my measurements. I will probably use rail-type PUPS.

I say PUPS, because I plan on routing out a spot directly in front of where I will install the bridge. I don't think I like the spot where the one PUP is, unless I used a really strong PUP. It just seems really far away from the bridge to me.

I'll add more soon.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

This is what the Teisco is supposed to look like.
http://www.vintaxe.com/cgi-bin/vintaxe_viewer.pl?guitar_heit_deluxe&japanese_guitar_heit_deluxe
or close enough, the wings on the body are slightly different, but everything else is supposed to be the same.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

All right, I know these are not as exciting as taking the body down to bare wood and repainting, but I don't really have the facility for that. So here goes project 1:

Below is the big problem, a square neck being fitted into a rounded neck pocket!!!

Here is the body with pots, knobs, switch, and input.

Okay, now for the beginning of project 2:

The "Kay" neck upon arrival fit perfectly into the "Teisco" body, which was great considering the Teisco neck pocket was only 2" wide. The only problem is the neck is missing the side position markers and the inlays in the neck are cracked. Also, the sixth string tuning peg hole is larger than the other 5. Then there are some nicks and dings on the back of the fretboard. It also looks like someone attached a stap button on the heel of the neck just above where it goes into the body (not once, but twice and there is a broken off piece of metal slightly protruding from one of these spots).

So I have a little work cut out for me. It really is not to bad considering I ordered these parts with out laying hands on them.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm, so no questions from anyone? Okay. I am still trying to get the neck to fit better into the first project. I about have the neck rounded to fit the neck pocket. I am still waiting on some parts and things to come in for both projects (I have been waiting for 2 1/2 wks for some wire to come in to do some soldering). The second project guitar, the Teisco/Kay may need me to re-fret the neck. I have to price this for parts and time put into it. As I looked further at the neck, the frets are extremely low. I have never seen frets so worn. I am pretty sure if I strung it up the neck would "fret out".

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

My hat's off to you, 97. You're working against considerable adversity, and it looks like you're making it work.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ric, Thanks for the encouragement, but for now I am just trying to have fun. This is great for me. If I could build from nice cuts of wood up to finished product, that is what I'd do for a living. Somewhere, somehow, someway soon, I need to do something else for a living before I have a heart attack. I may try to combine ideas for a business, but for now, I am just learning and experimenting.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The black-body guitar is making headway. I have attached the neck, put the pickups in (SeymourDuncan Jazz in neck and for now Fender Toronado Bridge PUP in Bridge position). I have some soldering to do and drilling/routing (for tuning gears), then string it up, tune and hope for the best!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It'll be exciting to hear it for the first time!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2